Trying To Remove Nitrates From Tap Water

1. E

Ethanlion New Member Member

Been struggling with nitrates with my 10 gallon aquarium my tap water had 40 to 80 ppm nitrates.(cant tell the difference between the 2 colors)

Sadly filter for the house and a reverse osmosis system is too expensive for me right now so i had this idea to try and remove nitrates for changing water. I had a 5 gallon bucket with lid(to help keep crap out) and a pothos plant that should grow nicely in the sun.

Do you guys think the plant would help remove the nitrates for water changes and replace with new water every week?

Attached Files:

2. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

No. If theyre that high straight out of the tap, youll need that bucket FULL of HUGE pothos plants to notice a difference.

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would use nitrate removing filter media to help combat the nitrates. Seachem Matrix or de*nitrate works and so does API Nitrazorb. Something like that. I would run a small filter in your bucket to absorb nitrates before adding to the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    E

Ethanlion New Member Member

I have only seen API Nitrazorb in a huge bag, do they come smaller? The filter i have has purigen in it now.

5. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

Seachem de*nitrate is good stuff. Might take a little bit to really start working but its great. Or matrix. Throw some in a media bag. I use it in my hang on backs, canisters etc

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Purigen won't remove nitrates.
    Nitrasorb is only the big bag that I have seen.
    Denitrate is meant for reactors, matrix and pond matrix for filters.
    You can get a small inexpensive hob, empty it of all media and run it with the nitrasorb. Also add the matrix into your hob. It takes some time for it to take effect but it helps for sure.
    (I have the same with my tap, changes seasonally though...)
    All my tanks are heavily planted. I used the nitrasorb until matrix kicked in and plants took over... now my tanks sit between 10-40... most are about 20... amazingly enough I had to start dosing nitrogen mid week...

Floating plants like water lettuce and frogbit might help a bit in the tank as well, plus some pothos in the tank...

7. Mike1995

Denitrate can be used in a filter if the flow isn't terribly high.

8. Mike1995

Its a lot cheaper than matrix.