Trying to keep guppies alive till Christmas..what should I use for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie211

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi... *sigh*
another dead guppy last night. Total of seven left,
first sick male. The prettiest one I have =\ I'm going away for a Day as well, so if I quarantine him I can't change the water so he dosnt suffocate or stew in his own waste. He's still interested in food and is active as ever so I think I caught it early.
its-likely- the same illness that killed the other two that died over the past two days. Colum something. I dosed whole tank with formalin and melafix as per instructed via internet. It's hard to see so I included original photos and some where I highlighted it.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I only nly have about half an hour to medicate before I have to leave =\
its fuzzy like a fungus, but pushes scales out in very localized place. That's what happened with my other guppy that died this morning.

the meds I own are:
melafix
formalin-MS
T.C.Tetracylin
Metro- MS

i also have Bettafix but I don't think that's relevant here

Attachments

Last edited:

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think that if this one has the same disease that all of them have been exposed to it. Since you've medicated the whole tank I would just leave him in the main tank. Especially since you'll be away for a bit.

OP
R

Rosie211

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just changed the water. No more cloudy water. His scales are still sticking up but don't look to be AS bad, but it's still pretty bad. Maybe an ulcer of some sort? It's not dropsy, nothing else is sticking out.. He's not bloated, and is still eating (I think I just jinxed myself) I also just saw him poop, it's not stringy or clear like the dropsy guppies's had been.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont know where you got that information, but they will not work, you have the wrong meds. They need a gram negative antibiotic. Heres a list of some that will work.
Kanamycin
Minocycline
Triple Sulfa
Oxytetracycline

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That might work. Furan 2 is for gram positive bacteria tho. Columnaris is gram negative.
That being said its not necessarily columnaris that is killing them, but most of the "deadly" fish disease that wipe out tanks is indeed gram negative.
Bacteria that cause tail rot and infect body wounds are not so deadly and are often gram positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom