Trying To Grow Algae, Only Getting Green Water?

• Thread starter FrancisBetta
  • Start date

FrancisBetta

I have a 13 gallon freshwater tank (25in wide) - I did a fishless cycle (with plants) which completed about 8 weeks ago. Ammonia, nitrites at 0, nitrates at 5-10 consistently. I currently have 3 amazon swords, some anacharis (5-6 stems), a crypt, driftwood, 1 male betta, and 3 otocinclus (recent add, planning on adding a couple more).

Before I added fish I had zero water clarity issues, but now I'm fighting a mild but persistent haze of green water. I have some solid diatom growth for the otos, but I'd like to encourage more soft algae growth if possible.

Is there a way to encourage specific algaes to grow while getting rid of the green water? I did a 4 day blackout and shortened the light timer, but I can never get perfectly clear water.

Thanks!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
A UV sterilizer like the small green machine at box stores will clear up your green water in a week.
Do you have hard scape for the algae to grow on? Usually getting green water would mean you have enough light to grow most algaes.

FrancisBetta

coralbandit said:
A UV sterilizer like the small green machine at box stores will clear up your green water in a week.
Do you have hard scape for the algae to grow on? Usually getting green water would mean you have enough light to grow most algaes.
I'll look into the Green Machine!

I have a couple of plastic rock things (hiding places) and a good sized (15 inches-ish) piece of driftwood, but it doesn't look like the algae is taking to any of it.

Do you think some palm-sized river rock would work? I have a couple of pieces I could throw in.

Top Bottom