Trying to Get a Gameplan

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Ok, first I'm wondering if I can add any more fish to this tank.

Current stock
    1 Angelfish (very young and small right now)
    1 Dalmation Molly (m)
    4 Sunburst Platies (3m, 1f) (I know this ratio is wrong, didn't know when I got them, but they have not shown aggression yet, but I'm ready to remove her when/if it occurs)
    6 Black Skirt Tetras
    2 Serpae Tetras (willing to get rid of if need be)

So, that's what is currently in the tank. Would it be possible to add anything? I would like a bottom fish such as corys. Throw out any ideas though, I appreciate them all!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would get rid of the serpaes.

You've got room for corys. Since you don't have any small tetras or guppies, you could get a pair of golden wonder killis for the top. They spawn every day, but since there are other fish in the tank, they will all follow the killis around the tank, waiting for her to drop eggs so they can be there to eat them. It's really cool to watch.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I just looked up Nothobranchius rachovii or killifish not knowing anything about them. They are very attractive fish. I have never seen them in one of my pet stores. Do you need to order them? And they pretty much stay to the top of water environment?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Golden wonder killis are different than notho kills. GW spend 95% of their time at the surface of the water. Most killis are top water fish, but some of the families spend less time there than others. The notho an gardneri killis I had used the entire tank. They are also significantly smaller (suitable for a 5 gallon - won't eat all your fish) and they don't have a long life span. In the wild it's only a year, but in the aquarium you might get 2 out of them. GW killis are not annuals and live much longer by comparison.

Yes, there are LOTS of species of killis, and they are some of the most beautiful and colorful fish in the hobby. However, they are generally only available online. Aquabid always has a good selection. You can also buy eggs, and raise the fish yourself - a neat project for some, I'm sure. The eggs are very cheap.

5. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

hmm, i've never heard of those fish before. But they look really awesome. I don't think my local Petsmart has them, so I'm not for sure if I can get them, but I'm going to look into it. And do you think any type of cory is better than another?

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've never been in a petsmart that didn't carry GW killis

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well I'll be sure to check again. Do u think theyd be able to eat any of the fish in my tank?

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

the GW, no. They may eat small platies though, if they themselves are large enough and the platies small enough.

9. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Ok, my platies should be good. I am prob gonna try to find some Gws.

Another question for anyone: should i add 2 female mollies or leave my boy alone? My biggest concern is overrunning the bioload, esp if i add 2 gw and 6 corys

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You have good reason to be concerned about the bioload. I would upgrade the filtration before I spent any money on fish.

11. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Yeah i was def not getting more fish until i get an aquaclear 50 or 70

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would go with the 70, no doubt. But if you are trying to save some money, the 50 plus the filter you have will do the job.

13. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

So a 70 alone or 50 + my internal?0

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yup

15. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Any more suggestions from anyone? Especially about the additional mollies or types of corys? Or any other fish ideas?

16. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well, my petsmart does not have gw killis and neither does another lfs down the road.

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

huh. Can they order them, seeing as petsmarts generally carry them?

18. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

idk, i suppose i could ask. but they don't have them listed on the petsmart website either

19. fighter55 Member Member

My petsmart barely has anything too. You could try aqua bid as jaysee suggested.

20. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

so I asked the people at petsmart and they said they can't order them so it looks like the Golden killifish are about to be eliminated. I don't want to pay a ton for shipping fish so that option is pretty much out.