Trying to find the right hood!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jobofett808, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Jobofett808

Jobofett808 Valued Member Member

I bought the tank off craigslist and was listed as a 55gallon but I don't think it is.. Here's the dimensions

48" x 13" x 17"

Measured for glass only didn't include the braces that hold the tank together. What size tank do I have? So I can find the right hood.

Any help would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

the fishlore calculator says its a 46g tank....you can try it by yourself also.
    and as a suggestion i can tell you that if you cant find any suitable hood for your tank recently....then you can make a DIY temporary hood with Styrofoam. i have used it for one of my tank.

3. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

If your tank is a "standard" size, I recommend the Versa Top line of glass lids for tanks. I have two of them, one on my 40g and one on my 10g. Build quality is good. They have them on Amazon.

4. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

It has a brace in the middle.. I measured the two sides at 22" inside the lip. I can't seem to find a glass lid that fits it.

5. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

Ended up doing a diy lid using plastic roofing. Also made a diy led lighting for my tank using vinyl gutters and end caps.

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Hey, you may have found out already, but your tank sounds like a 40 long, 48"x 12" x 16"
    Vinyl gutters do work well for diy with CFL 6500k bulbs.

7. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Pictures, please! People love to see DIY efforts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice