20 Gallon Tank Trying To Find Out The Cause Of My Golden Alge Eater's Death

derpychicken

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So yesterday, everything was fine. Today, a dead fish that looked like it had the guts vacuumed out of it. My aquarium is a 20 gal and the ph is 8 and the nitrites and nitrates are at an average level. I guess the algae eater was kind of bloated but it has been that way for over two months. I assume it just feasted on my plants and algae. Now tonight I find his body and it looks like its been vacuumed. There is a red area going through the middle of only one side of his body that wasn't there before. The wounds below his fins was probably done by the snails or the minnows. He did have reddish swollen gills last week, but i'm totally out of ideas of what could've killed it.

SparklingGourami

Reaction score
I don’t think that something killed it. Most likely, it died and was scavenged.

What’s the rest of the stocking?

What’s the exact ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate level?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It sounds like an improper diet caused bloat and then was scavanged after it died. There’s no average level of nitrite and nitrate, but you’re also forgetting ammonia. So a properly cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and usually 5+ nitrates. Nitrates should remain under 20ppm via water changes or plants. Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can cause death. I’m assuming that the store didn’t inform you that your Gold Algae Eater (Chinese Algae Eater) can reach up to 12 inches and become very aggressive. Sorry about your loss, I hope all your other fish are doing awesome!

OP
derpychicken

derpychicken

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jellibeen said:
Reddish swollen gills could be ammonia poisoning.
I have two adult angelfish in there that were raised from babies, and they look like they are doing fine.

OP
derpychicken

derpychicken

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AquaticJ said:
It sounds like an improper diet caused bloat and then was scavanged after it died. There’s no average level of nitrite and nitrate, but you’re also forgetting ammonia. So a properly cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and usually 5+ nitrates. Nitrates should remain under 20ppm via water changes or plants. Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can cause death. I’m assuming that the store didn’t inform you that your Gold Algae Eater (Chinese Algae Eater) can reach up to 12 inches and become very aggressive. Sorry about your loss, I hope all your other fish are doing awesome!
They only told me that it grows to maybe 2.5 inches.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom