Trying to find an earthquake proof large aquarium...

christiangrenier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I’ve been wanting to get a pleco and some other fish in a huge aquarium.., but here in Laguna Beach, our home sits on a small fault line and shakes occasionally. I would like to know if there is an aquarium (with a stand) that can withstand earthquakes well; or a solution to a normal aquarium on a stand to make it earthquake-proof. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Christian

OP
christiangrenier

christiangrenier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, do you know any that come with a stand? Some “earthquake proof” aquariums are ridiculously priced... What are the benefits of acrylic? Sorry if asking too much.. :)

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never occurred to me. That must be a major concern for people living in earthquake areas. Are there recommended aquarium size restrictions for people on your part of the world due to likelihood of tremors?

OP
christiangrenier

christiangrenier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know.... would like a large tank though. Yup, Southern CA is known for their ‘quakes. 50+ gallon sounds nice.. Yes, in CA, we do restrict our tank sizes..

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
acrylic tanks take much more of a beating then glass tanks. As far as what's available to you locally I have no idea. Here are a few.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not the tank, its the stand that needs to be earthquake proof. One that won't contort or twist. I would go for a heavy gauge, welded steel stand.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I would 100% stay away from glass. I would call an acrylic aquarium builder in tour area or California and ask them. I doubt anyone on here would know unless they are in your same situation. I’m sure there are options out there. Oh and I’m sure those options are costly.

OP
christiangrenier

christiangrenier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hah, yes. I’ve been looking online and the ”earthquake proof” ones were $6,000 USD! How crazy! I would never pay that.

abovo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m over the hill from you near Mission Viejo and have a 90 gallon acrylic partially for this reason. As others have said you really need a sturdy stand more so than the acrylic tank but it all helps. The store bought stands tend to be made out of particle board and hopes. Have something built or build one yourself to make sure it won’t disintegrate in a rolling earthquake like we had earlier this year.

OP
christiangrenier

christiangrenier

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh that’s close! But now that i’m seeing how expensive these are, it’s fine not to have one... but I did see an acrylic with a stand for $400.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
$6,000 is bananas.
not sounds reasonable to have a tank that’s acrylic and a sturdy well built stand. You could easily make one if your handy at all.

qquake2k

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would a metal stand like this be stronger than normal stands? Or could you have a steel stand custom made?

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes I’m sure a steel tubing stand would be stronger. Remember with most of not all acrylic tanks the bottom needs to be solidly supported the entire bottom.

qquake2k

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think a piece of thick plywood under it would support the tank. Something like 1-1/8" subfloor. Just waterproof it before hand.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes. Just remember I’m talking about between the tank and the stand not the stand and the floor. The acrylic bottoms don’t support like glass tanks do.
Not that the stand and the floor couldn’t be an issue as well. A lot of people don’t think or know about the acrylic bottom tank issue.

Smokey3737

Reaction score
I live in California too. I like what everyone said about acrylic and a very strong stand. In addition, maybe an anti-vibration matt under the stand would give you some extra protection? Like what they put under treadmills or washing machines. Shock absorption is probably what's needed. Do the earthquake tanks actually have shocks? Also, maybe anchor your stand to a to a stud in the wall, but not too rigidly. Like a short chain or something. So it has wiggle room (shakes independently of the house) but not topple over.

Smokey3737

Reaction score
Now I'm thinking about how earthquake proof my Co2 system is. That could also be really bad. Yikes.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom