Trying To Fight Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by FrostedFlakes, Jun 24, 2019.

1. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

There was a time I was away from home for a while so I wasn't able to tend to my tanks too much, and in my planted 5.5 I noticed a small cyano sheet. Now it's becoming quite the problem. I've removed it, it came back. I removed it and did a black out, and although it wasn't coming back, I felt like this was unhelpful towards my plants that were also struggling and are getting a bit choked out. So I turned the lights back on and it came back. I've been sick so I haven't been able to do my scheduled water change, but when I do I plan on removing the cyano. What else can I do afterward? I keep the light on for 6 hours with a 2 hour siesta period. I dose with thrive, but because my water change schedule has become so thrown off, the doses have been a bit irregular. It is a betta tank, so the flow is low, but there is a hang on back filter and an airstone. Stocking is just one betta and bladder snails.

2. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

Take the betta out, dose with hydrogen peroxide, then do a big water change and put the betta back in. It should kill the cyano bacteria. I had the same issue in 2 tanks and did just what I said and it hasn't come back for months.

3. OP
    OP
    FrostedFlakes

Should I do anything about the snails? What is the dosage of peroxide and for how long should I do it? Plant damage?

4. wrs2

I had Ghost Shrimp in my tank and left them in and they all survived.
    What I did with my plants was take them all out and put them in a dip. I didn't really measure how much I put in.... I just kind of opened the bottle and poured and let it run through the tank for a couple of hrs. then did a big WC before I put anything back into the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    FrostedFlakes

So the plants were just outside the tank while you ran the peroxide?

6. wrs2

Yeah, but I put peroxide in the bucket they were in as well. I just left them in until they stopped smelling of cyano bacteria lol.

7. OP
    OP
    FrostedFlakes

Hey just wanted to give an update. I just put the betta in an extra 5 I had lying around just so I didn't have to worry about over dosing with him. I dump around 2 teaspoons of peroxide in the tank for around like 4 days and worked like a charm! Thanks for the help!