Trying Dr Tims.. Updates

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cslix, Jun 20, 2018.

1. cslix

cslix Valued Member Member

Day one added DrTim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying bacteria to 50 gallon.
    Also added 4 drops for every gallon, 200 drops.

• Day 2 – Measure ammonia and nitrite.

• Day 3 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add more ammonia: four drops of our ammonium chloride per gallon (check the label).
    • so my ammonia is 2ppm and nitrite is 0 so im guessing im not suppose to dose..

2. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

Correct. Just test ammonia daily, no need to test anything else. When it drops below 1, dose it and start testing for nitrites. You should see the ammonia going to zero every day, just keepng dosing each day and testing both. Eventually nitrite will drop as well (that's where I am now in my cycle with Dr Tim.). Keep dosing. When both ammo and nitrite are 0 a day after dosing, you're cycled.

Also, it took twelve days for my ammo to drop after initial dose. Then 2 days after 2nd dose. Then one day after 3rd dose. Now dosing daily and nitrites just started coming down a bit after 5th dose.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    cslix

ok so im on day 4 just checking ammonia.. its still at 2ppm

4. PhillyKev

Yep, mine stayed strady for week and a half, then dropped. I did add a piece of driftwood I got from my lfs out of one of their tanks to help cycle. Not sure it did or how much.

5. OP
    OP
    cslix

so with this product whats the average cycle range.. 12 days to 15? day 5 2ppm

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, usually around 14 days after adding it.

7. OP
    OP
    cslix

• Day 6 – If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add 2 ppm ammonia. Four drops of our ammonium chloride per gallon. [NOTE: since you have added the One & Only your ammonia kit will not read 2 ppm and DO NOT continue adding ammonia trying to get to 2 ppm – just add 2 ppm ammonia (4 drops per gallon of our ammonium chloride) and carry-on.
    My reading was 2ppm again.

8. PhillyKev

I didn't use the one and only, just ammonia. From what I've read, the efficacy if the bacteria in a bottle is hit or miss at best. Just keep testing, it may be a couple weeks.

9. OP
    OP
    cslix

• Days 7 & 8 – Measure ammonia and nitrite. On the first measurement day (Day 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8) that BOTH ammonia and nitrite are both below 0.5 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N) your tank is close to being cycled.
    • day 7 amm is @ 2ppm.. only dosed day 1.
    • day 8 2ppm
    • day 9 2ppm
    • on day 14 now ammonia has dropped to .25ppm.. tomorrow im hoping for anything below .2 and then i will dose and measure to see the outcome.. tank should be cycled soon :D
    • on day 17.. ammonia is 0 but nitrite is still high around 2 ish 1ish ppm.. not happy but waiting for this dumb cycle to finish this is crazy.. once nitrite is low enough i still have to feed the tank ammonia a couple more times and hope the process works fast.. im guessing 20 to 25 days.. stinks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice