Trying a new style of tank set up...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by kidster9700, Aug 3, 2015.

1. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I had some blue gravel so I made a river.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438636535.423187.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438636548.678108.jpg
    I combined my ADF tank with my 5.5 betta. I wanted to swap the black gravel for sand, but ended up just mixing them. I want to get some more little plants or something to add to the design. Ideas? I don't want like a little bridge, but maybe some more dwarf hair grass since it looks like little river weeds. Maybe a different decoration in there. Like a tiny house or something. Add some links to stuff that you think will look cool! No fake plants though, I hate fake and real plants mixed for some reason. Blah.
    Also, give me feed back! Is the heater placement okay? Should I hide it with plants? It's long so either it moves up/down/left/right or goes diagonal.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I love the idea! About how tall is the house ruins that you have in there right now?

3. el337Fishlore LegendMember

What a unique look! I like it a lot!

4. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

The ruins are like 2.5-3" tall. Pretty small.

5. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I dunno, I think it's pretty good as is. I like the barren look on the ruins' side of the river, and if you wanted to, I suppose you could do a few more plants on the other side of the river.

6. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I do want to have a few more plants mostly for the ADF. Maybe I make it look like a little "Forrest" over there. The subwassertang looks like a little bush haha.

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Needs a background :)

8. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Yeah? What of?

9. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Solid black or dark green is what I would do. Adds depth to the tank and makes the stuff in it look better. I prefer to paint the back of the tank. But there are several other DIY things you can do. Poster board, people use window tint. And of course you can buy backgrounds online or at a pet store. But look around the forum or net and see what you like.

10. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Green might be nice. Or maybe I'll paint something. Like a fake forest on one side and then blend it into a dark green instead of painting actual depth of the river and stuff haha.

11. McFlyValued MemberMember

Like it! Looks cool... Have you thought about what happens when it comes time to clean the gravel?

12. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I figured i would just be careful. I might get some trumpet snails in there to help keep the substrate from getting too much gross gunk built up.
    Would you guys suggest adding any invertebrates? Right now it's a male ADF and the male betta (they seem to be getting along okay so far).
    I should be getting a nerite snail for my 3G betta tank downstairs soon, do you think snails in this tank might not go with the look? And what about shrimp? I know I can't put another ADF in(right? They need like 2.5 gallons each, but I think since I have a betta it doesn't leave "room" for another) and obviously no other fish.

13. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Replaced the ruins with this thing. I think it's kind of neat. And a bigger hideout for the Betta. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439088965.638856.jpg

14. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Looks great, I like it! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

I think I might steal this idea for my next tank :D Especially since I want to have part gravel, part sand...a "river" would be a perfect divider. And I already have a bridge ornament in my current tank that would be perfect to put over it!

16. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Got the idea from the photo on an Aqueon tank lol

17. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

Nice! Similar to an aquascape i just set up! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439329434.608655.jpg
    I think two gravel colors can be cool

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice