Question Trutemp Eheim 75w: Can I Mount It Horizontally?

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Setting up a 20Long tank. Store recommended the Eheim Trutemp 75W. Noted to them that it looked too long for my tank and was told I could mount it horizontally. However, the instructions only refer to vertical mounting.

Right now, I have it in vertically with the bottom resting in the sandy part of the substrate. Is this okay? Can I mount it horizontally?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Setting up a 20Long tank. Store recommended the Eheim Trutemp 75W. Noted to them that it looked too long for my tank and was told I could mount it horizontally. However, the instructions only refer to vertical mounting.

Right now, I have it in vertically with the bottom resting in the sandy part of the substrate. Is this okay? Can I mount it horizontally?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Interesting. I have the same heater in my 10 gallon vertically just fine.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does the end sit in the substrate?
The 20Long aquarium is only 12 inches high. I read that I should have 3 inches of substrate in the back of the tank sloping to 2 inches in the front. Doesn't leave room for the heater to sit above this.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does the end sit in the substrate?
The 20Long aquarium is only 12 inches high. I read that I should have 3 inches of substrate in the back of the tank sloping to 2 inches in the front. Doesn't leave room for the heater to sit above this.
I just checked. Yes it's in the substrate. I have about 1.5-2" of substrate. It's in about a quarter of an inch. Maybe make a pocket and put a upside down cap so it sits inside.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Contact with the substrate shouldn't cause an issue. It's only a problem if it contacts something that might melt or that would have a significantly different heat absorption rate compared with water. Since the substrate is saturated with water, it shouldn't be a problem.

I just checked at Amazon. In the photo of the package it clearly says "fully submersible", which means you can mount it horizontally, completely submerged. If your package doesn't say submersible, then I'd stick with vertical mounting, but it would be odd for them to change an important function like that in the middle of production.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you both for your responses. I think I will leave it vertical for now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom