Trumpet Invasion

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 30 gal. W/BDBS loaded with trumpet snails, it was a angel breeder, now I need to tear it down and do a deep cleaning but I want to get rid off the snails when I take and clean the sand, any ideas?

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Put the sand through a strainer? I'm not sure if you can bake that kind of sand to sterilize but maybe someone can chime in about it.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know how far the nearest Tractor Supply is from you, but I'd just buy a new 50 lb bag for $8. $8 is totally worth not having to pick out the snails/strain the substrate. I doubt you'd be able to get them all out.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought about that also I have a tractor supply pretty close, I have some assassin snails in with them but they cant keep up with the trumpet snails. Thinking about it I will replace it, with all the dead snails might contaminate the water, its just not worth it, Thanks.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Being that I'm going to replace the BDBS with new that gives me more time to deal with the snail sand, I think I'll flush as many out as I can, than let them bake in the sun for a few days, hopefully they dehydrate enough for air pockets to form and they float to the top, at least it sounds good in theory.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Eh, I had sand I was drying out for a few weeks and some MTS still survived in the damp sand. If you're going to dry the sand in the sun, I'd empty all water and spread it in a thin layer in the sun so it can dry all the way.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do it the same way I do gravel, I use a old bed sheet spread out on the deck and bring it in every night and respreads it the next day, on a good suny day I'll take the broom and re-spread it, after a week of this it is bone dry and ready to store or use.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That should work to dry them out then! I was thinking you meant drying it out in a tank, and that never seemed to work for me.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It would probably take months in the tank. It will need to go on the back burner for now, TS is out till next week. I still need to get out the last dozen or so of angel fry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom