Truly yellow goldfish

Lenae98

Hey does anyone know where I could find a breeder of a truly lemon yellow goldfish? No fancies. I'm in the market for pond goldfish only (comets, shubunkins, watonais, or wakins). I see lemon comets offered at some of the chain stores but they really just look like a paler gold color. My goal is to eventually have a collection of goldfish with such a variety of color and pattern that it rivals any koi pond. I feel that a good yellow fish will be the most difficult to find so I'm beginning my search early. Any leads would be appreciated.

YellowGuppy

Regrettably, I cannot help. BUT while you wait for ACTUAL help, are you aware of exactly why yellow goldfish are so hard to find?

It's my understanding that they previously were more common than their orange and white counterparts, but yellow was an imperial color in China at the time that they were being domesticated, so non-yellow variants were selectively bred so they could be owned by the masses. Suffice to say that "the masses" significantly outnumber members of the Chinese imperial family, so the non-yellow variants are most widely available for the rest of us now!

Lenae98

Yes absolutely. These look like their in Australia from the web address. I am not sure how economical it is to ship international? I am new to all this but it seems like I may be searching off season as I've seen a couple breeders here in the US who had them in May. So maybe there's a season when there's a greater selection of fish available? Which is fine I am just trying to locate who's likely to have them next year.

I suppose it makes sense that there's an off season with pond stalking with winter being such a stressor and fish needing time to acclimates before winter. Can anyone advise what the latest point in the warm season it is recommended to introduce new fish to a pond?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Rivendell
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Shea Loner
Replies
Views
Cheesecake