True Ph Of Ro Water?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
It depends, it can be between 5 and 7 (the pH of RO water).
And no, distilled water is not the same as RO, supposedly distilled water is more pure.
What specifically causes the pH of RO to be so variable?

So for remineralizing water for a tank, would one be better off using RO or distilled?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What specifically causes the pH of RO to be so variable?

So for remineralizing water for a tank, would one be better off using RO or distilled?
Are you using it to make it more alkaline (mineralized?) or.....?
Confused what you mean by remineralizing.
And I don't know why it can be variable.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Are you using it to make it more alkaline (mineralized?) or.....?
Confused what you mean by remineralizing.
And I don't know why it can be variable.
Adding pH/GH buffers to get it in a specific range for shrimp. So mineralized, I guess.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, so you want to make the pH lower, and then add a buffer after to get it where you want?
I would suggest RO water for this use.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh, so you want to make the pH lower, and then add a buffer after to get it where you want?
I would suggest RO water for this use.
I am going to use a substrate that buffers pH down to 6. I need water that has a pH of about 6.5, a very low KH of 2 or less, and a GH around 5. The tank will be housing CRS, CBS, and possibly tiger shrimp.

I can get RO water from my job, but I do not know it's pH. Distilled water has a pH slightly under 7 so I was just wondering if that was the safer, more reliable alternative.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not to interrupt the conversation, but I use to water on my smaller tanks and my ph is consistently between 8.2 and 8.4. I would just check the ph of the water at work then decide if you want to use it.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am going to use a substrate that buffers pH down to 6. I need water that has a pH of about 6.5, a very low KH of 2 or less, and a GH around 5. The tank will be housing CRS, CBS, and possibly tiger shrimp.

I can get RO water from my job, but I do not know it's pH. Distilled water has a pH slightly under 7 so I was just wondering if that was the safer, more reliable alternative.
Can't you test the pH of the RO water from your work?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom