True or false: too many males will stress females to death

Crimson_687

I read somewhere that if you have too many males, your females will start dying due to the stress of being harassed by males when they are saddled.
Is this true? If so, how many males would be too much? I’ve reached a point where all shrimp were born in-tank, so I’m assuming a 1:1 ratio

Demeter

The females will only be chased for a few hours when she's ready to breed. After that life carries on as normal for all the shrimp. Things only get crazy when the females are emitting pheromones, for the boys it's a race to the female. Right after mating the females is off to laying eggs and the pheromones dissipate.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

The females will only be chased for a few hours when she's ready to breed. After that life carries on as normal for all the shrimp. Things only get crazy when the females are emitting pheromones, for the boys it's a race to the female. Right after mating the females is off to laying eggs and the pheromones dissipate.
I thought so. Everything I was reading on the website was correct, and then when it said about males stressing females I got a little skeptical

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

From what I understand, right after a saddled female moults, she is ready to have her eggs fertilized, but goes into hiding because she just moulted and feels venerable. She sends out pheromones inviting the males to visit her during this time. And it is better to have several males because the chances of her being found in time increases. When ever I see my males binging around the tank, I know I have a newly moulted female.

Other wise, the males don't seem to give the females much of a look, I see both eating or resting together.

Upvote 0

Jack B Nimble

For my breeding tanks I feel its a fact Secondly, I keep about 6 males per 100 female. I have never had a female die. When I see my males doing happy swim that's when I cull most of them except the best of colors. As far as males finding them I only use 10g tanks and always have dozens of berried females in that ratio of males.

Upvote 0

Renaissanista

I don't think it's true. I think not having enough nutrients or poor water is more dangerous to females than males because they are "eating for 2"...umm...20?? I had more females die when there were water problems but not from harassment by males.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
gok
Replies
Views
TexasDomer