True Algae Eaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Who are the true algae eaters? I'm wanting to add some to many of my tanks that don't have them. I know cories aren't true algae eaters. I get them because I adore them.

I've got everything from peaceful to very aggressive, so compatibility isn't a concern. Once I get ideas, I'll be researching, narrowing down, and then getting compatibility verification on specific tanks through all of my wonderful fellow Fishlorians.

Availability isn't too much of a concern either. I'm an avid aquabidder and if I have a big enough order, I'm willing to order from an online fish store with a good reputation.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out my choices. Thanks everyone in advance!

OP
bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BB what tanks are you putting them? Hoping not the AC tanks. I have them with the Angels and they do great.
The ottos would be in peaceful tanks as well as the abn's.

I'm also trying to see if snails would be safe in the AC and some of my rambunctious cichlid tanks.

One of my other problems is what algae eater could go in my goldie tanks.

My cichlid and goldie tanks seem to be my biggest problem finding algae eaters that would be happy in those tanks.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure you're way ahead of me here and I apologize for the dumb suggestion, but...
If the issue in your goldie and cichlid tanks is algae on the glass, a Mag Float or similar cleaner is probably your easiest option. I've never tried, but something tells me AC's won't do too well with snails, again that is just a guess.

OP
bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sure you're way ahead of me here and I apologize for the dumb suggestion, but...
If the issue in your goldie and cichlid tanks is algae on the glass, a Mag Float or similar cleaner is probably your easiest option. I've never tried, but something tells me AC's won't do too well with snails, again that is just a guess.
I actually hadn't thought about that. I still need to place an online order. Can it be found online? Could you send me a link that shows what I'm looking for?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey BB, here are the algae eaters I have:

Red cherry shrimp
Bristlenose pleco
Garra rufa

I think the best are the Garra rufa by far! They like to be in groups of atleast 3. I have 3 in my tank with the angels and they get on great, they are great algae eaters and don't let any of the fish in the tank bother them

OP
bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know some guys that get Zebra Nerite snails for their African tanks. So far I have put a few Trap door snails but they last for about 3 to 4 weeks and they end up eaten.
That's interesting. I just read you can put nerite snails in with goldies, too. Nice! Thank you. I can use the magnet and the snails and the algae should definitely decrease.

I'm working on algae eaters for the new world cichlid tanks research as well. I'm willing to put my precious abn's in with easy-going cichlids, but not some of my more tenacious NW's.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What about a UV sterilization system? I'm buying one for my 25gal...it grows algae like a mad tank...I cant keep it under control and Homer and Watson (my half dollar size mystery snails) dont eat much algae anymore. I'm buing one of the 9W systems from petsmart for $40 plus tax. Idk....the 25gal has 4 corys. Idk...maybe I'm just fed up with fish at the moment and dont want anymore lol. Plus the algae is free floating so my tank water is just green...even with everyother day tank blackouts. Idk just a suggestion.

ilikefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ottos are big softies and if you get a decent sized one the African cichlids won't care... they'll bully him for about 2 mins so they can show who's the boss the otto will just sit there and ignore them and after the cichlids think they showed him. All is calm... And the otto will do a great job! and chances are if you have affrican cichlids you have a nicely large tank and the otto will have nice space to grow in... just make sure its not a variety that hits 18"... unless you have a giant tank... but im sure you know that lol ^^

OP
bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey BB, here are the algae eaters I have:

Red cherry shrimp
Bristlenose pleco
Garra rufa

I think the best are the Garra rufa by far! They like to be in groups of atleast 3. I have 3 in my tank with the angels and they get on great, they are great algae eaters and don't let any of the fish in the tank bother them
I don't know how I missed this post yesterday! I can't find a profile on the garra rufa, but I'm finding a lot of pedicure information about them. I'm very interested in their requirements if I can find them.

What about a UV sterilization system? I'm buying one for my 25gal...it grows algae like a mad tank...I cant keep it under control and Homer and Watson (my half dollar size mystery snails) dont eat much algae anymore. I'm buing one of the 9W systems from petsmart for $40 plus tax. Idk....the 25gal has 4 corys. Idk...maybe I'm just fed up with fish at the moment and dont want anymore lol. Plus the algae is free floating so my tank water is just green...even with everyother day tank blackouts. Idk just a suggestion.
Oh man, a UV sterilization system sounds great, but expensive, especially since I have so many tanks. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Ottos are big softies and if you get a decent sized one the African cichlids won't care... they'll bully him for about 2 mins so they can show who's the boss the otto will just sit there and ignore them and after the cichlids think they showed him. All is calm... And the otto will do a great job! and chances are if you have affrican cichlids you have a nicely large tank and the otto will have nice space to grow in... just make sure its not a variety that hits 18"... unless you have a giant tank... but im sure you know that lol ^^
My AC tank is 75g. Does that qualify as giant? What is their bio-load? High, low?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know how I missed this post yesterday! I can't find a profile on the garra rufa, but I'm finding a lot of pedicure information about them. I'm very interested in their requirements if I can find them.
Yeh I found it hard when I was researching! My LFS keep them in their display tank, I think its about 4000G, amazon biotope, its BEAUTIFUL! I asked about them and they said the following:
They like their pH around 7 ish but can happily live in anything from 6 to 8. They like to be in a group, as you can see we have about 20 and they are great together, I recommend keeping atleast 3. For tank mates, they best fit with what we have in this tank.
In the tank they have, angelfish, rainbows, eartheaters, corys, cardinal tetras, redline torpedo barbs, rummy nose tetras, glass catfish and cockatoo cichlids. I think thats all of them
Mine are in pH or 7.8 and the water is quite hard but they seem to be very healthy and grow super fast! I got mine at about 1" but now after about 2 months, they are all close to 2.5". The ones in the LFS I believe are full grown and they are nearly 3.5"

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 68.5%

Top Bottom