True algae eater that will eat Black Beard Algae

• Thread starter RomanNoodles96
  • Start date

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
I have tried many things to get rid of it, h202, excel, phosgaurd, Amano shrimp, and cutting leaves of plants that have had it but nothing has worked. I've gotten rid of some with h202 but only because I took out the plant and sprayed it so much to the point to where it melted back. I heard siamese algae eaters ate it but is that true? I don't want to have to take all my plants out and start over as my substrate has BBA also.

sinned4g63

Well Known
RomanNoodles96 said:
I have tried many things to get rid of it, h202, excel, phosgaurd, Amano shrimp, and cutting leaves of plants that have had it but nothing has worked. I've gotten rid of some with h202 but only because I took out the plant and sprayed it so much to the point to where it melted back. I heard siamese algae eaters ate it but is that true? I don't want to have to take all my plants out and start over as my substrate has BBA also.
SAE will tear it up. I'm getting ready to move one to my 20 gallon for just that. Last weekend I took a small java fern that was from the 20 covered in BBA and as soon as I dropped it in the tank they swarmed and you could visibly see them taking chunks off to eat. I should have done a before and after it was such a difference..

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
sinned4g63 said:
SAE will tear it up. I'm getting ready to move one to my 20 gallon for just that. Last weekend I took a small java fern that was from the 20 covered in BBA and as soon as I dropped it in the tank they swarmed and you could visibly see them taking chunks off to eat. I should have done a before and after it was such a difference..
Okay. Do you think 1 would suffice for a 29 gallon or is my tank to small? Also I've heard that they suck off the slime coats of other fish, have you personally experienced this?

sinned4g63

Well Known
RomanNoodles96 said:
Okay. Do you think 1 would suffice for a 29 gallon or is my tank to small? Also I've heard that they suck off the slime coats of other fish, have you personally experienced this?
1 would be a good start. I've got 2 in a 10g and they chase each other over food and territory, another reason I'd like to move one, but they get about 2.5 inches. Not sure about that second part.. that sounds a bit terrifying lol. I've only seen them go after each other, the tank has some green neons and amano shrimp and the greens usually just scramble out of their way and more often then not the shrimp will grab the food and hold it hostage from the SAE and they seem pretty ok with that. I can only imagine if they were to go after someone else's slime coat they would be starving or cramped in a space far too small for them causing increased torritorial aggression.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
sinned4g63 said:
1 would be a good start. I've got 2 in a 10g and they chase each other over food and territory, another reason I'd like to move one, but they get about 2.5 inches. Not sure about that second part.. that sounds a bit terrifying lol. I've only seen them go after each other, the tank has some green neons and amano shrimp and the greens usually just scramble out of their way and more often then not the shrimp will grab the food and hold it hostage from the SAE and they seem pretty ok with that. I can only imagine if they were to go after someone else's slime coat they would be starving or cramped in a space far too small for them causing increased torritorial aggression.
Okay thank you I may pick one up this weekend and see if it works.

mimo91088

Well Known
Chinese algae eaters are the ones you're thinking of that will terrorize other fish. Siamese are alright in a community setting. Just make sure to get the right one lol.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
mimo91088 said:
Chinese algae eaters are the ones you're thinking of that will terrorize other fish. Siamese are alright in a community setting. Just make sure to get the right one lol.
Okay that makes sense. I remember watching a video about it and they talked about how as they mature they become aggressive. Is there any good ways to tell the difference between the two?

mimo91088

Well Known
RomanNoodles96 said:
Okay that makes sense. I remember watching a video about it and they talked about how as they mature they become aggressive. Is there any good ways to tell the difference between the two?
Can't help you there unfortunately. I've never kept either and I've never researched how to tell them apart. But I think I've heard that it's something to do with the stripe and the tail?

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
mimo91088 said:
Can't help you there unfortunately. I've never kept either and I've never researched how to tell them apart. But I think I've heard that it's something to do with the stripe and the tail?
Okay I'll do research on that myself then. Thanks for the help both of you.

sinned4g63

Well Known
RomanNoodles96 said:
Ok that would make sense, I've always heard the Chinese Algae Eaters get pretty aggressive when they mature. SAE will have a solid black stripe down the middle of the body from head to tail, the other portions will be a gold brown color. The CAE will be nearly identical in shape, size, and gold brown color but the tell tail will be the pattern on their side. Again SAE will have a solid stripe, CAE will have a crosshatch pattern or spotted depending on their mood. SAE can also drop their color when stressed making it very hard to see the stripe and could make it easy to mislabel them of mistake one for the other. Also make sure you avoid the Flying Foxes which are also commonly mistaken for a true SAE and can be on the aggressive side. Their color will be opposite the SAE but on first glance looks near identical in shape, size, and behavior. Each of these links has a very good picture of each fish mentioned.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
sinned4g63 said:
Ok that would make sense, I've always heard the Chinese Algae Eaters get pretty aggressive when they mature. SAE will have a solid black stripe down the middle of the body from head to tail, the other portions will be a gold brown color. The CAE will be nearly identical in shape, size, and gold brown color but the tell tail will be the pattern on their side. Again SAE will have a solid stripe, CAE will have a crosshatch pattern or spotted depending on their mood. SAE can also drop their color when stressed making it very hard to see the stripe and could make it easy to mislabel them of mistake one for the other. Also make sure you avoid the Flying Foxes which are also commonly mistaken for a true SAE and can be on the aggressive side. Their color will be opposite the SAE but on first glance looks near identical in shape, size, and behavior.
Noted. When I eventually get one I will refer back to this.

sinned4g63

Well Known
RomanNoodles96 said:
Noted. When I eventually get one I will refer back to this.
Unfortunately I got somewhat lucky finding them at my LFS as they always have them in stock but are labeled as "Algae Eating Sharks"... Yeah. I know. :confused: But that's how I got so familiar with what each one looks like being that they will end being tank mates with other fish and I didn't want any risks.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I was looking into these myself to help me get rid of BBA. Another thing to look out for is clear fins. True Siamese algae eaters won't have any color on their fins. If the fish you are looking at doesn't have a solid black line going from head all the way down through the tail fin and has any color on the fins it isn't a true siamese algae eater.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
SAE all the way!!!!! This!
BTW - I have 7 of them - :)

Attachments

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Junne said:
SAE all the way!!!!! This!
BTW - I have 7 of them - :)
Yeah I got one a week or two back and its doing an amazing job. Its eaten all the BBA to my knowledge, its cleaned it off the rocks, substrate, and plants.

Top Bottom