10 Gallon Tank Troubles with the love of Gourami & a 10g stocking

EddieGWL

I'm really a sucker for gourami as a centerpiece fish in a community tank due to their shape and feelers-liked fins. Unfortunately due to space constraint, I could only allowed a 10g tank which is now in cycling process . After reading many threads posted by many gourami owner and research through the internet, the straight up answer will be > 20g and a 10g for DG barely make it as basic requirement. Some websites even dispute that minimum volume should be 5g, which I find it ridiculous. As far as I would like those colorful DGs, I have to resign to fate that Honey Gourami is much more suitable and barely meet the condition. Is there any other species of the Gourami family that can fit into a 10g environment? Tank is scape to match their environment and are fully committed in sticking to water change regime.

Mii

have to resign to fate that Honey Gourami is much more suitable and barely meet the condition.
Imho honey gourami are better than dwarf gouramis anyway. They're less aggressive and don't get dwarf gourami disease. In the store they won't look very colorful but once you get your own and take good care of it, get it to color up it will be beautiful! Also if you really want dwarf gouramis, you could probably keep a single one by itself in a 10g since they're more aggressive and less social than honeys I'd just keep one, but for honeys I prefer to keep them in a group of at least 3 with females outnumbering the males.

DuaneV

A Sparkling Gourami would be okay in a 10 gallon, but thats about, so no community tank. A 10 is way too small for any real community. A 10 gallon is a very small tank in actuality.

EddieGWL

In the store they won't look very colorful but once you get your own and take good care of it, get it to color up it will be beautiful!
After seeing what you've said, it does add some sense of satisfaction to see your Honey Gourami thriving good and showing their best color. Yup I am aware of DGD which is lethal and 100% fatality. I guess my mind is set for Honey Gourami, thanks for clearing my head.

A Sparkling Gourami would be okay in a 10 gallon, but thats about, so no community tank. A 10 is way too small for any real community. A 10 gallon is a very small tank in actuality.
IMO that depends what species you put in. You can have 1 centerpiece and a school of nanos and bottom dwellers. Just unfortunate that the ones I'm keen to keep happens to be aggressive and requires bigger tank.

DuaneV

You can have 1 centerpiece and a school of nanos and bottom dwellers.

Definitely depends on the species, but Ill stand by my belief that a 10 gallon is too small for a centerpiece fish AND schooling community fish, let alone a centerpiece fish, school of nano fish AND a school of bottom dwellers. Not in a 10 gallon, no way. You could do a small school of nano fish (depending on the species) but those are all the same species and a schooling fish to boot. Adding a single fish, completely different species, to a school of nano fish in a small tank is a recipe for disaster. Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras are considered by most to be "Nano" species, but I wouldnt keep ANY of them in a 10 gallon. Its just not enough swimming room. A 20 gallon would be a great size to have a nice community tank with a Gourami, school of Harlequins and a school of Kuhli Loaches (I have this exact tank), but a 10 just isnt big enough.

Mii

Definitely depends on the species, but Ill stand by my belief that a 10 gallon is too small for a centerpiece fish AND schooling community fish, let alone a centerpiece fish, school of nano fish AND a school of bottom dwellers. Not in a 10 gallon, no way. You could do a small school of nano fish (depending on the species) but those are all the same species and a schooling fish to boot. Adding a single fish, completely different species, to a school of nano fish in a small tank is a recipe for disaster. Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras are considered by most to be "Nano" species, but I wouldnt keep ANY of them in a 10 gallon. Its just not enough swimming room. A 20 gallon would be a great size to have a nice community tank with a Gourami, school of Harlequins and a school of Kuhli Loaches (I have this exact tank), but a 10 just isnt big enough.
You can definitely keep multiple species in a 10g they just have to be the right species. With honey gouramis you probably can't keep much else since they themselves need a group, but I think a non-social fish like a betta can live with a school of something tiny like ember tetras just fine in a 10.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Katie V.
Replies
Views
Robert Beach
Replies
Views
SterSter

Random Great Thread

New Aquarium Stocking Threads