Trouble With Water Conditions

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners, Additives and Supplements' started by Nichole Bearden, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Nichole Bearden

Nichole Bearden New Member Member

I am cycled a month and a half, haven't had any trouble until I pulled my carbon out and started using purigen yesterday, my nitrate level skyrocketed went from 5.0 to almost 40. My question is, is this normal and besides water changes what else can I do? The tank is a 20 gallon with a Fluval C2 HOB and an undergravel filter with two 30 gallon air pumps.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Changing chemical filtration shouldn't be the cause of the nitrate increase.

What is your water change schedule like and what's your stock? Have you tested your water source for nitrates? When you said you had 5ppm nitrates, was this tested right before making the switch to purigen?

3. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Agree with @el337 . I discovered I have nitrates in my tap now when I didn't have them 2 months ago.

4. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

I checked the day before, and did a water change when I switched the carbon for the purigen, I also have carbon on my lift tubes I forgot to mention that. I am on a well, and have never had problems with my water.
    My fish are
    3 tetras
    3 danios
    6 guppies
    1 variatus
    1 dwarf gourami
    5 shrimp
    1 very small pleco

5. Punkin

Did you add any fish recently? I am not experienced in stocking, but that seems like a large bioload for a 20 gallon, especially a pleco.

6. el337

I would still test your water source esp if you noticed the difference after a water change.

Agree that you do have fish with a high bioload.

7. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

I was told with my filtration system's that I would be ok, I guess I was told wrong I will work on that. Thank you for your time, you have been helpful

8. el337

If the nitrates are not coming from your water source, I would increase your water changes.

9. Punkin

You're welcome. Just a note, an HOB filter should have 8-10 times gallon per hour turnover. It may help if you can upgrade to a Fluval C4, or something that has at least 180 gph. It is not a must, just something to consider, it may help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice