Trouble With Water Conditions

Nichole Bearden

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am cycled a month and a half, haven't had any trouble until I pulled my carbon out and started using purigen yesterday, my nitrate level skyrocketed went from 5.0 to almost 40. My question is, is this normal and besides water changes what else can I do? The tank is a 20 gallon with a Fluval C2 HOB and an undergravel filter with two 30 gallon air pumps.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Changing chemical filtration shouldn't be the cause of the nitrate increase.

What is your water change schedule like and what's your stock? Have you tested your water source for nitrates? When you said you had 5ppm nitrates, was this tested right before making the switch to purigen?

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you add any fish recently? I am not experienced in stocking, but that seems like a large bioload for a 20 gallon, especially a pleco.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would still test your water source esp if you noticed the difference after a water change.

Agree that you do have fish with a high bioload.

Nichole Bearden

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would still test your water source esp if you noticed the difference after a water change.

Agree that you do have fish with a high bioload.
I was told with my filtration system's that I would be ok, I guess I was told wrong I will work on that. Thank you for your time, you have been helpful

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If the nitrates are not coming from your water source, I would increase your water changes.

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're welcome. Just a note, an HOB filter should have 8-10 times gallon per hour turnover. It may help if you can upgrade to a Fluval C4, or something that has at least 180 gph. It is not a must, just something to consider, it may help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom