Trouble with mopani wood!!

Davidh9054

Hi I’m new to the hobby I have a 20 gallon high tank that I have been having headaches with from the start. I used to have 7 harlequin rasboras and 7 green tiger barbs with a rubber lip pleco and I then bought a zoomed mopani wood. I first soaked it in hot water for about 5 days changing the water daily. I added it to the tank and the next morning I noticed like a white film on some of the fish looked like fungus. I checked the water and the ph was a little lower than usual but I knew it was just the wood. I got rid of the fungus then I noticed what looked like ich on some of the other fish in the process of treating it lost all of my tiger barbs and 2 of the rasboras. Also I took out the wood being as that being the only change was the introduction of the wood. After that everything seemed to be going good and the tank was back to normal again with the 5 rasboras and the rubber lip pleco. After about a week I took the wood and boiled it for about 3 hours changing the water every hour, then I soaked it in hot water for 3 days after. Added it to the tank again and in two days my ph dropped super low to 6.0 or less, it’s usually at 7.2. So I took the wood out again and did a 60% water change because the fish where acting weird and the pleco was out in the open (which he never did except for after the lights go out) but still alive. The next morning the I found the pleco dead at the bottom of the tank all the other fish looked normal again.

So my question is the wood really what’s caused all that to happen or could it have been something else? If it was the wood why would that happen? I have not put the wood back in tank a little more than month has passed and I got 4 more rasboras, 2 emerald green Cory cats, a neon blue dwarf gourami and a clown pleco and everything seems to going good up till now.

Kellye8498

It’s possible there were chemicals used that you didn’t know about. It’s also easy for fish to die with even small changes and that pH drop was a pretty large change in a very small span of time.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

It’s possible there were chemicals used that you didn’t know about. It’s also easy for fish to die with even small changes and that pH drop was a pretty large change in a very small span of time.
That’s what I had figured. Is there any other type of wood that won’t drop my ph? I know it’s advised to have some wood in the tank for the pleco just don’t know if it’s really necessary. I add in sinking pellets and algae wafer in the night after turning off the lights and in the morning most of the pellets and wafer is gone but it could be the corys eating it because I never actually see the pleco eat it.

Upvote 0

Kellye8498

That’s what I had figured. Is there any other type of wood that won’t drop my ph? I know it’s advised to have some wood in the tank for the pleco just don’t know if it’s really necessary. I add in sinking pellets and algae wafer in the night after turning off the lights and in the morning most of the pellets and wafer is gone but it could be the corys eating it because I never actually see the pleco eat it.
You definitely need some wood for a pleco to rasp on. I have mopani in my tank but it’s been there for 10 years which was long before we were including pH testing in the standard testing numbers so I’m not sure if I had the same issue or not. Chola wood is good and it sinks fast and doesn’t foul the water much with tannins if you’re not about tannins.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

was the tank cycled?
The stocking isn't a good idea (combi , fishspecies(

Upvote 0

JPH1970

That slime is natural and appears on all wood

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

was the tank cycled?
The stocking isn't a good idea (combi , fishspecies(
Yes it was ammonia was 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. Just curious as I don’t know much about fish why wouldn’t the stocking be good?
That slime is natural and appears on all wood
The white film/slime looking stuff was on the fish not on the wood.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Where did you get the wood from?
My Mopani reduces the pH from 8.2 to 7.8, no other side effects.

Upvote 0

Davidh9054

Where did you get the wood from?
My Mopani reduces the pH from 8.2 to 7.8, no other side effects.
I got it from Petco. It was a zoomed brand, on the tag it only said to soak for a week. I soaked it for a week added it then took it back out when the fish got sick. After the fish were cured I boiled it for like 3 hours and soaked it another 3 days then added it again. That’s when I noticed the crazy ph drop.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mimianderson
  • Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies