Trouble with fry tank!

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am kind of stumped now. I moved the betta fry to the 38 gallon tank a week or so ago. I do daily water changes, vac the left over food off the bottom etc. I had a snail in there but it died...like they all do no matter where they are!...now there are 5 ghost shrimp in there to help keep things clean. There is also a cycled filter running. My problem is this...no mater what I do, the water keeps clouding up and I have quite a bit of algea starting to grow on the sides and bottom of the tank. I am obviously doing something wrong but have no idea what! HELP!

EDIT: Would it be an ok idea to add one of the very small baby pleco's to the tank? I don't know if a larger pleco would feed on my fry or not, but if not, I have a small one in with my angelfish that the babies could "borrow" until I can get them their own...

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hello - algae can be formed from overfeeding. I know its important to feed the little guys ... but are you maybe feeding them too much? If not then this is not the most likely cause. What kind of lighting does the tank have and also what kind of natural light is it getting?

3. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I suck up the extra food at least once a day, usually 2x...they have a hood light that is on aprox 12 hours a day. There is decent natural lighting in the room, but no direct light. The tank is never completely dark since there is always a lamp on in the room...prevents broken toes!!lol

4. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Try cutting the lights on the tank down to 7-8 hours a day and see if that will help.

Brian

5. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Critter, sounds like you are overfeeding....Cut back for a couple of days and see what happens....

6. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I was thinking that...since I can't seem to keep from feeding them too much, I started sucking out the extra food after about 25 minutes both times I fed today.

7. Danionins.com Member Member

Feeding more live food will help with water quality issues too. I like to feed fry with micro worms, walter worms, banana worms and baby brine shrimp.

The live foods will live for hours in the tank and not foul the water like commercially prepared foods.

Just my :;2cents

Dennis