Trouble With Fish In Cycle

1. 1

1000ninjas New Member Member

Got an aquarium after not having one for 10+ years. Didn't do much research just went off what I remembered which obviously wasn't a good idea. I did fish in cycles in the past and they were always successful. One problem I'm having now is that my tap water has .50 ppm of ammonia and I didn't know that until I already added the fish.

I have a 65 gallon and it currently has 5 mollies in it. Plenty of filtration and oxygenization. PH and water temp are good I'm just a little unsure of how I should go about getting the tank cycled. I have a bottle of prime. Should I be doing daily water changes ect.

Thanks

2. OP
    OP

My tap water having .50ppm of ammonia is throwing me for a loop

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Honestly, I'd pick up a bottle of either stability or TSS+ to help establish your BB colony. I've used TSS+ to cycle a couple of tanks, took about 2 weeks. If you don't want to do this, test your water daily (twice a day if you are worried like I would be :) The prime is going to take care of that ammonia from your tap, until your bb can handle it, so don't worry about it too much. I'd do either daily or every other day water changes.
    You have a testing kit to test ammonia nitrite and nitrate I'm assuming.

4. OP
    OP

If I use the tss I can't use prime correct? Do I just put it in and leave the tank alone completely or do I still do water changes just don't add prime? I want to do whatever is quicker.

I read that ammonia readings aren't accurate until 24 hours after using prime? Is this right?

Yea I have API test kit

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You can use prime, you just can't dose prime and tss at the same time. You have to wait either 24 or 48 hours. The bottle says to wait 2 weeks before doing a water change, I didn't follow that, if I saw anything go up, I did a water change ( I wasn't using prime at the time though, I was using stress coat i think) If you do a fairly big water change, dose prime, wait a day or two and then add tss+ then you shouldn't have to worry about it until the end of the week (when you'd do a water change already)...unless you feed the fish crazy, I'd feed them just a tiny little bit :) You should only see ammonia, no nitrite and then nitrate. That was my experience at least :) Since your cycle is already going, you might get it finished a lot sooner than 2 weeks.

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member