Trouble with dog

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
hello all!!! i have recently adopted a terrier mix, he is about 1 or 2 and has not been trained. he was so good and quiet but scared on the first few days but within the week he got better. he has really bondedxwith me and is not scared of me when i approach him now. he has been peeing inside of the house and he wont stop nipping, the nipping is out of excitement i presume but we arent ok with him thinking its ok to nip. he has been having a problem going outside, mainly on walks. he refuses to walk, and barely will if you give him a treat. i got frustrated so i tried carrying him part way to the walk and he jogs right back. sometimes he has problems other times he doesnt and i dont understand why. if anyone can help please do! he is petrified of the dark too, we had to bring him to a lit up parking lot to go to the bathroom last night. he loves to catch flies!!!

Attachments

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aww he's so cute! I find with most rescued dogs they always come with different issues depending on where they came from/what they experienced before you brought them into your family.
I would refrain from giving him a treat when he won't walk because that might just make him think if he doesn't walk he will get treats (I think I read that correctly).
Seems like he has some anxiety about being outside, is it a quiet walk or near a road with a lot of sounds/cars?
Also with the nipping, are you playing with him when he does it or is it just random? Only way to get rid of that is to not encourage it and when he does it completely stop whatever you were doing (such as playing etc)
He's also probably still a little bit of a puppy and they can have those tendencies especially if they were not socialized very well from the start.
I find eventually a lot of their issues fade away the longer you have them, it just will take some time. :)

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
kattiq said:
Aww he's so cute! I find with most rescued dogs they always come with different issues depending on where they came from/what they experienced before you brought them into your family.
I would refrain from giving him a treat when he won't walk because that might just make him think if he doesn't walk he will get treats (I think I read that correctly).
Seems like he has some anxiety about being outside, is it a quiet walk or near a road with a lot of sounds/cars?
Also with the nipping, are you playing with him when he does it or is it just random? Only way to get rid of that is to not encourage it and when he does it completely stop whatever you were doing (such as playing etc)
He's also probably still a little bit of a puppy and they can have those tendencies especially if they were not socialized very well from the start.
I find eventually a lot of their issues fade away the longer you have them, it just will take some time. :)
yeah thats what ive beenthinking but idk! im new to owning a dog, but hey its fun. although hes a terrier so he has some energy let me tell you. he jumps and he randomly runs so thats our indicator to bring him out but he wont walk. when my mom bikes though he goes running after her and its like hard to keep up! hes gonna get me jn shape. i feel so bad bc its just out of separation anxiety but we have no other way to give him exercise so thats what we have been doing. i checked my phone and i got 1000 steps with him on a fast run down the street, for me it was a lot bc i have been very lazy but he will get me in shape thats for sure. is there a way to do that without triggering his anxiety

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is he peeing to mark his territory or just because hes not house trained?
If the latter take him outside ever 15-30 minutes and try to make him go. Every time he pees outside say "go potty" or whatever phrase you want to use as your command and give him a treat. It is tedious but works well

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He could've easily been over-sensitized to leash walking, he could've had a ton of bad experiences while walking in his past. Terriers are known to nip - that's their job, they are working dogs. They also tend to like digging.

Don't yell at the pup - don't scold him. He doesn't have any idea what you are scolding him for (not saying you are, but lots of people will "smoosh poop in their face" if they poop inside or yell at them and point at the poop. This does not work. This just makes the dog afraid to poop in your presence and so he will hide it from you,, inside). It's almost impossible to get a dog to understand why you are scolding. They will associate the negative with YOU, not with the thing you're mad about. It will ruin your bond. (woo, negative training rant over haha)

Instead, ignore the unwanted behavior. Pick up the poop or clean the urine and say nothing. But when he's outside, THROW HIM A PARTY. WOOOOOO YOU POOPED!!!!!! Tons of treats!!!!! Then he knows that it's a good thing. Terriers are smart. It won't take long for him to learn.

You can use this theory with every unwanted behavior. He's nipping? Stop playing with him. He's jumping on you? Stop petting him. Ignore him. IMMEDIATELY after he stops (and I mean it has to be within 2 seconds or he doesn't understand the connection), praise him and pet him and play with him (with a toy! not a hand!)

If you want specific help on how to train, feel free to PM me. I follow a fear-free positive reinforcement training group and they've taught me a lot. I'd be happy to share their knowledge with you.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
oh my god this is awesome!! my mom has been yelling and i will scold and stop what im doing but he has really been nipping, one time i felt so bad he loves blankets so he was biting it rolling inside of it, and it was stuck on him. we figured hexwas just playingbut when he got out he cane over and nipped me harder than usual he has been doing that a lot. hes a bery smart and nice dog he just is a bit of a pup and i dont know fully what im doing haha! i will make sure to only use positive reinforcement and ignore when doing something bad. should i put him in the crate when he does something bad?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
idkausernamesoyeah said:
should i put him in the crate when he does something bad?
NEVER crate a dog for a punishment. You want the dog to like the crate so you can use it when you need to (like during potty training). The crate should be a happy, safe place only.
He’s nipping for a reason. If I could see his body language I could help better, but in the situation you explained above with the blanket, it sounds like he was either over excited from play or frightened from getting tangled up, so he lashed out with a bite because of the amped-up emotion.
Does he have any chew toys? He sounds like a mouthy dog. Make sure he has lots of chew toys everywhere in the house so that when he gets overly emotional you can present him with a toy and not a hand.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
UnknownUser said:
NEVER crate a dog for a punishment. You want the dog to like the crate so you can use it when you need to (like during potty training). The crate should be a happy, safe place only.
He’s nipping for a reason. If I could see his body language I could help better, but in the situation you explained above with the blanket, it sounds like he was either over excited from play or frightened from getting tangled up, so he lashed out with a bite because of the amped-up emotion.
Does he have any chew toys? He sounds like a mouthy dog. Make sure he has lots of chew toys everywhere in the house so that when he gets overly emotional you can present him with a toy and not a hand.
next time i will video it. this is great to know! he loves any sort of chew toy! he doesnt rly know how to play but we r trying to teach him! he is so energetic haha i hope his energy level goes down a little over time

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
idkausernamesoyeah said:
next time i will video it. this is great to know! he loves any sort of chew toy! he doesnt rly know how to play but we r trying to teach him! he is so energetic haha i hope his energy level goes down a little over time
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but you got yourself a terrier. They are puppies for life ;)

AJ34

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a rat terrier she’s nuts lol but I love her. She’s 13 and still has very energetic days sometimes . Terriers can be pretty smart but stubborn too. I agree with ignoring bad behavior it’s like with children if it’s not something that is consequential not giving any attention to undesired behaviors can work wonders! That’s an interesting harness with the ring in the front. Have you tried one with the ring on the back? I got this for my dog who is anxious and not the best walker tends to choke her self.

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He may not be used to a leash. You may try letting him drag the leash around the house for a couple days and see if that helps. As for the nipping, teaching him sit and stay will be really helpful. When you know something will excite him like someone coming through the door or whatever, have him sit and stay and reward him. You can also crate him if its when someone new is there and work on the crate or bed command so he has a place where he can be excited but also not be nipping or jumping if that's an issue. A basic obedience class would be one of my first steps. It can help with fear issues, aggression, and many other issues. I used to help with dog training and have had quite a few rescue dogs. I would be willing to help with any questions you may have in the future.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
just a little update! he is now much better with walks, he will sometimes require my mom to go with us but a few hours ago he didnt which was nice! he has so much energy. he has been nipping less, but i think its just a control thing, and i just firmly say no twice and glare at him, and he usually gets the hint. i found out he is treat reliant, so i m teaching him not to be. he is able to jump over the gate separating the rooms, he can jump on the back part of the couch, and dig under the gate. he is crazy!! i take him for runs and im ready to pass out but he still has a little bit of energy left, i definitely deplete his energy a little. whenever i m playing with him outside, he just has such a strong grip, making it impossible to get the toy from him sometimes, is it ok to grab the toy and lift him up with it? i dont want to hurt him, i just want to get the toy sometimes! also is it normal for dogs not to go in a certain spot to pee? he just walks out and randomly does his business wherever, whereas every other dog i know pees in certain spots hwere they want to mark their territory. i m very new to this, but its fun to learn! at night he just gets so wound up, usually he lets me eat on the couch when he knows he isnt getting food but tonight he wouldnt stop jumping on me and he nipped my foot, but like latched on a bit harder than normal, idk, i jsut took my foot back firmly said no, pointed at him and stood up. he is such a fun dog to have he can just be such a pain! he is so smart any trick i want to teach him he is right on it! tomorrow i will try to teach laying down, then rolling over. i hope it works! my dad has been hoping he would roll over

Attachments

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He’s super cute :) sounds like a normal playful pup with self-control and confidence issues! Build his confidence by letting him play games he’s good at, like using hs nose find the treat in mixed cups (like the carnival game!). You can certainly pick him up with the toy, gently, he’ll think it’s fun! But if you want to get something from him, try training a “drop it” command. You do this by giving him something with higher value than the thing he currently has, EVERY time you use the “drop it” command. So if you want him to drop a toy, say “drop it” and give him a piece of Boiled chicken Or his favorite dog treat as the Reward. Soon he’ll be spitting things out on command for that treat!

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
just a little update! he is now much better with walks, he will sometimes require my mom to go with us but a few hours ago he didnt which was nice! he has so much energy. he has been nipping less, but i think its just a control thing, and i just firmly say no twice and glare at him, and he usually gets the hint. i found out he is treat reliant, so i m teaching him not to be. he is able to jump over the gate separating the rooms, he can jump on the back part of the couch, and dig under the gate. he is crazy!! i take him for runs and im ready to pass out but he still has a little bit of energy left, i definitely deplete his energy a little. whenever i m playing with him outside, he just has such a strong grip, making it impossible to get the toy from him sometimes, is it ok to grab the toy and lift him up with it? i dont want to hurt him, i just want to get the toy sometimes! also is it normal for dogs not to go in a certain spot to pee? he just walks out and randomly does his business wherever, whereas every other dog i know pees in certain spots hwere they want to mark their territory. i m very new to this, but its fun to learn! at night he just gets so wound up, usually he lets me eat on the couch when he knows he isnt getting food but tonight he wouldnt stop jumping on me and he nipped my foot, but like latched on a bit harder than normal, idk, i jsut took my foot back firmly said no, pointed at him and stood up. he is such a fun dog to have he can just be such a pain! he is so smart any trick i want to teach him he is right on it! tomorrow i will try to teach laying down, then rolling over. i hope it works! my dad has been hoping he would roll over
It sounds like training will be your best friend then. At least he's eager to learn and please you! Use that treat motivation to your benefit! In my opinion, its way easier to train a treat motivated dog than one that isn't. Find a local dog training group and get involved! They love working with new people and you can have a lot of fun with it. There are rally competitions for obedience through AKC and there's always agility which might be a good option to get some of that energy out. There are also barn hunt competitions where they have to find the tube that has a live rat in it. They don't hurt the rat. They just have to find it and terriers tend to be very good at that competition. Terriers can be difficult and bossy but, remember, a tired dog is a good dog lol If he has a job and routine, he will be much better for you. It'll just take some time for him to figure out what you expect from him. Good luck!

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
i finally got a video of him nipping!! hopefully u guys can watch this and maybe get some more insight! i will look around for some groups maybe that will help me and him! if u read this rn i m abt to post it up to youtube and put the link in here

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
i finally got a video of him nipping!! hopefully u guys can watch this and maybe get some more insight! i will look around for some groups maybe that will help me and him! if u read this rn i m abt to post it up to youtube and put the link in here
It looks more like he's trying to play than actually trying to hurt you. You can still get him to stop with consistent training though if you don't like it. Leave it is a pretty basic command that really helps. Just have him sit and put a treat, toy, or something that you know he'll go for in front of him. When he goes for it, move his head away and tell him to leave it. When he does, give him a different treat if you're using treats as the bait and have him still leave the one in front of him. I don't do it for more than 5 minutes with my adult dogs. Puppies maybe a minute. Once he learns it, you can use it for everything. If he goes after something you've dropped that he shouldn't have, other animals, people, anything. You can also use it when he starts nipping your hands.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
idkausernamesoyeah said:
This is not a play response. This is a fear response. I can tell because dogs show "whale eyes" when they're frightened, I can see the whites of his eyes. He is licking his lips, another anxious response. His ears point to anxious and his body is stiffer than a playful dog's body would be. Stop with the "no!" and pointing; he has absolutely no idea what he did wrong. You made him uncomfortable with the petting, he told you he's uncomfortable, you ignored him so he nipped at you, and then he got yelled at! That's very, very confusing for this poor puppy. Watch his behavior. He's telling you in everything he does what he is feeling. Since he is getting anxious with petting like that, try pairing a pet with a treat. Any time you touch him he gets treats until you stop touching him. If he shows you a fear reaction like that again or doesn't take the treat, you are overwhelming him and need to back off. Start slow. He's unsure of you right now and you need to build a bond of trust and respect first.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
UnknownUser said:
This is not a play response. This is a fear response. I can tell because dogs show "whale eyes" when they're frightened, I can see the whites of his eyes. He is licking his lips, another anxious response. His ears point to anxious and his body is stiffer than a playful dog's body would be. Stop with the "no!" and pointing; he has absolutely no idea what he did wrong. You made him uncomfortable with the petting, he told you he's uncomfortable, you ignored him so he nipped at you, and then he got yelled at! That's very, very confusing for this poor puppy. Watch his behavior. He's telling you in everything he does what he is feeling. Since he is getting anxious with petting like that, try pairing a pet with a treat. Any time you touch him he gets treats until you stop touching him. If he shows you a fear reaction like that again or doesn't take the treat, you are overwhelming him and need to back off. Start slow. He's unsure of you right now and you need to build a bond of trust and respect first.
thats helps so much!!! i still dont know dog behavior so this helps a lot thank u so much! i m trying to correct my actions along with these and i dont pick up on those little signs but i will try my best

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
idkausernamesoyeah said:
thats helps so much!!! i still dont know dog behavior so this helps a lot thank u so much! i m trying to correct my actions along with these and i dont pick up on those little signs but i will try my best
No problem, we are all learning here :) thankfully, all dogs use the same language. So once you’ve mastered your own baby, you can read them all!

New Threads