Trouble Sexing Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Joey Wales, Apr 11, 2017.

1. J

Joey Wales New Member Member

Hi there, I'm having trouble sexing my Betta fish. It was sold as a female but I can't see an egg spot and the tail just seems too big although shorter than most. I was wondering whether it was a male Plakat Betta. The fish is in a tank with other female Bettas and does chase away however doesn't fight and isn't too aggressive at all leaving me confused.
    I'd love some help and hope the photos although not the best can show enough.

Attached Files:

2. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

It could be a male plakat. It looks like the ventral fins are longer than most females as well. And you said there is no egg spot, so that is pretty much confirmation that it is a male. I would suggest removing him and giving him a separate tank.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I'm sorry to say (or not sorry, depending on how you feel) but I do believe that is a male. My friend look at it as well and we agree. I also agree with peppy210 about the ventral fins being longer than the anal fins. He does look like a male plakat.

On the egg spot, it has been shown it isn't a sure fire way to sex bettas. There are accounts of males having what seems to look like an egg spot, thus creating confusion. Some bettas have been seen to develop the egg-spot like structure in their later years or simply have/keep them from when they are young to mid-adult

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the reply. The fish isn't aggressive at all towards the other fish in the tank. It's been in there a few months and was also chosen from the store due to it being less aggressive than the others. We were going to remove if it started showing signs of aggression but we already have 3 other tanks and a vivarium to run and the space isn't readily available. Would it be ok to keep monitoring the fish for now and if any signs of aggression are shown we'll obviously remove it

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Most definetly! If, he's been cool with his tank mates, he can be left there. Not all bettas are aggressive; mine for example, could care less about fighting and more about playing. You got lucky with what seems to be a docile Betta!

6. OP
    OP
    J

Ok I'm glad. It has its own territory next to a fry net in the tank and stays alone most of the time. We make sure they all get food so he doesn't ever get aggressive over feeding. I can't believe it was sold as a girl!

7. peppy210

peppy210 Valued Member Member

Yeah I guess keep a close eye on it. As far as keeping the betta in there forever, I disagree. But temporarily, it should be fine.

8. OP
    OP
    J

Well we'll keep a good eye on him as we always have kept a good eye on all our fish for compatibility and all our fish are incredibly docile towards eachother.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Maybe i should've mentioned it's a 120 litre tank and has lots of hiding spaces and plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice