Trouble picking a new filter

starrynight2331

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have had the Tetra beginner 10gal filter for a while now. It’s okay, but I would like my betta to have more space and less flow (it tends to push him around when he’s near it). I also have protective mesh on it because he almost got sucked in a bunch of times in the first few days.

for context, I am planning on changing to a 20gal tank sometime this year, and he lives with a julii catfish. I have some real plants and plan to add at least one more catfish along with some snails in the future. (He loves his catfish buddy btw!)

What filters out there are a decent price, quiet, and external with adjustable flow?

I found these two, but I’m not sure what I think yet. This is definitely a new adventure for me haha

MarineLand Penguin 100 GPH BIO-Wheel Power Filter

AquaClear - Fish Tank Filter

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you looked at the azoo filters? Their like mini aquaclears.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When in doubt, always go with Aquaclear. :cool:

Edit:
Okay, I'll be serious.
If you want your betta to have less flow in his tank but still have adequate filtration, get a sponge filter. They are easy to find and reletively cheap.

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a Fluval C2 on my 10 gallon betta tank and he seemed to do well with it. It's an updated design to the aquaclears and I liked it better for ease of cleaning. Though like aquaclear it seems hit or miss on the noise front.

OP
S

starrynight2331

Reaction score
chadcf said:
I had a Fluval C2 on my 10 gallon betta tank and he seemed to do well with it. It's an updated design to the aquaclears and I liked it better for ease of cleaning. Though like aquaclear it seems hit or miss on the noise front.
I just looked into that one and I LOVE it! It’s a perfect match! Thanks so much—I’m gonna get that one. :) It’s also affordable to maintain which is a massive bonus.

OP
S

starrynight2331

Reaction score
david1978 said:
Have you looked at the azoo filters? Their like mini aquaclears.
They look nice, but reviews seem kinda mixed with them? Not sure, but I really like the Fluval one that someone mentioned. Thank you though!!!

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pro tip if you get it, search for "dual density aquarium filter material" on amazon and you can keep it running a lot cheaper than fluval refills. You have to cut the roll to size yourself but it will last years for a low price. I also ran seachem matrix in mine, stashed in a little nylon aquarium bag.

OP
S

starrynight2331

Reaction score
chadcf said:
Pro tip if you get it, search for "dual density aquarium filter material" on amazon and you can keep it running a lot cheaper than fluval refills. You have to cut the roll to size yourself but it will last years for a low price. I also ran seachem matrix in mine, stashed in a little nylon aquarium bag.
Oh wow, that’s super cool! So I buy this roll—how do I actually use it inside the filter? I guess what I mean is, what part is this exactly?

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You'll see when you get it. Fluval sells a 3 pack of filter pads for like $5. But you can get a big roll for $10 or so and all you really do is cut them to the same size as the fluval pads and stick them in the filter.

here's a setup video that shows the parts:

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chadcf said:
So they got rid of the big sponge?

OP
S

starrynight2331

Reaction score
chadcf said:
You'll see when you get it. Fluval sells a 3 pack of filter pads for like $5. But you can get a big roll for $10 or so and all you really do is cut them to the same size as the fluval pads and stick them in the filter.

here's a setup video that shows the parts:
Ohhhh okay! Dude I am so for that. And I suppose it’s something you could do with certain other filters too. Much thanks!!

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
So they got rid of the big sponge?
Yeah it has a vertical basket now that just slides out from the top and holds a dual density foam pad. There is more room for biological media than the aquaclear 20's as well.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chadcf said:
Yeah it has a vertical basket now that just slides out from the top and holds a dual density foam pad. There is more room for biological media than the aquaclear 20's as well.
I guess thats why i liked the aquaclears. The sponge lasts about forever.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In terms of filter flow, take a water bottle, cut off the top tapered bit, and the bottom part. Then cut a slit in the bottle tube (cut/peel off any rough edges from when you cut the top and bottom off). Put one of the sides under the little output lip thing, and put the other side up over the media area. I've done this with all of my betta tanks and they've never been bothered by the flow. I also did this with my aquaclear on my tank with ember and glowlight tetras. You can't keep the lid on your filter, but that's not a problem for me as the only thing that would ever fall in there is some dust or maybe some cat hair. You could do this with most HOBs so you could probably just get any filter you think is best.

OP
S

starrynight2331

Reaction score
Danny002 said:
In terms of filter flow, take a water bottle, cut off the top tapered bit, and the bottom part. Then cut a slit in the bottle tube (cut/peel off any rough edges from when you cut the top and bottom off). Put one of the sides under the little output lip thing, and put the other side up over the media area. I've done this with all of my betta tanks and they've never been bothered by the flow. I also did this with my aquaclear on my tank with ember and glowlight tetras. You can't keep the lid on your filter, but that's not a problem for me as the only thing that would ever fall in there is some dust or maybe some cat hair. You could do this with most HOBs so you could probably just get any filter you think is best.
Yes, I was thinking about that while watching the YouTube video. :) I’ll probably take a lighter to the edges to make sure they’re completely rounded off too.

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
I guess thats why i liked the aquaclears. The sponge lasts about forever.
I think it's a trade off. The sponge does last forever, but doesn't give you very fine mechanical filtering. The downside of a dual stage pad is that fine filtering breaks down quickly and is not very reusable. But the better filtering combined with more room for media is a good tradeoff for me. If you have a lightly stocked tank though the extra media and filtering might not be that critical.

Though I would say, there's no reason you couldn't just put a coarse durable sponge pad in the c series and have it be just as reusable if you wanted.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chadcf said:
I think it's a trade off. The sponge does last forever, but doesn't give you very fine mechanical filtering. The downside of a dual stage pad is that fine filtering breaks down quickly and is not very reusable. But the better filtering combined with more room for media is a good tradeoff for me. If you have a lightly stocked tank though the extra media and filtering might not be that critical.

Though I would say, there's no reason you couldn't just put a coarse durable sponge pad in the c series and have it be just as reusable if you wanted.
These new fangled filters. I still have an aquaclear 500 hanging on the back of my 75.

New Threads