Trouble Keeping Water Parameters Stable

ethantobey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank water sits at about 7 ph which is what I want to keep it at, but whenever I do a water change, even just 15-20%, my ph raises up to 7.4-7.6, how can i stop it from doing that?
I already have VERY soft water to begin with so I added crushed coral to my filter around 2 weeks ago and that maybe raised my kh to about 3 or 4 degrees, heard that more kh would help keep ph stable.
Also, when I add the new water in during water changes the tank literally looks like sprite, there are so much tiny bubbles in the tank as I add the tap.
Tap water sits at 7.5ph and 0 kh

chris29909

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi..Ok if your PH is 7.5 out of the tap, The extra ph has to be disolved, I think you going to need to Use A ph lowering product to maintain it at 7.0 Im thinking the crushed coral is helping to keep it stable at 7.4 Also a couple of 40% water change 24 hours apart will help lower it. Than get it at 7.0 add product as nesscary”Ill get The tiny bubbles when the tap water im adding is to cold use prine

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank water sits at about 7 ph which is what I want to keep it at, but whenever I do a water change, even just 15-20%, my ph raises up to 7.4-7.6, how can i stop it from doing that?
I already have VERY soft water to begin with so I added crushed coral to my filter around 2 weeks ago and that maybe raised my kh to about 3 or 4 degrees, heard that more kh would help keep ph stable.
Also, when I add the new water in during water changes the tank literally looks like sprite, there are so much tiny bubbles in the tank as I add the tap.
Tap water sits at 7.5ph and 0 kh
Does it fall back down to 7 after a couple of hours? A lot of the time the pH can fluctuate over a time period straight from the tap and then after a few hours. You can test this by leaving a cup of tap water and then testing the water a day later and note any differences.

Adding driftwood or peat also can lower the pH, so if you have wood decor this will help you lower the pH somewhat.

The tiny bubbles could be due to a number of things; might be due to the way you add the water back to the tank, to solutes to higher temperature (hot water often contains a lot of 'dissolved air' which gives it the sprite look).

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Don't mess around with chemicals to alter your pH.

A pH difference of .5 is negligible. The crushed coral you added to the tank is making your water more alkaline by acting as an acid buffer, hence the rise in pH. I honestly wouldn't worry about it as it is not an extreme swing by any means. Having your KH high enough to keep pH at a more-or-less stable number is more important.

If your water looks like soda, maybe pour the water in less vigorously?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom