Trouble Keeping Water Clear

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TXflyFisher, Oct 9, 2017.

1. TXflyFisher

TXflyFisherValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    I seem to be having similar issues. I have a 10 Gallon tank 2 weeks old. brand new tank. brand new fluorite substrate. brand new planted plants. I am having trouble keeping it clear. It seems to cycle between clear and a white cloudy about 3 days.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Experience:
    1 year
    The white cloudiness is most likely a bacteria bloom. It is common for new tanks that are cycling to have a bloom. It should go away on its own.

3. OP
    OP
    TXflyFisher

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay that's kind of what I thought. I went ahead and put some fish in it anyways. Mainly due to my impatience. 4 Dalmation Molly's, 1 Cory, 5 glass shrimp and 1 little red claw crab. However I think the crab may have escaped because I haven't seen him since yesterday morning lol

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Experience:
    1 year
    Cycling is the absolute worst part of fishkeeping because you know that you have a fish tank with water but you can't put fish in. It stinks. I also wouldn't recommend cories in your setup. A 10 gallon isn't enough to keep cories in because they wiggle around a lot. Cories are also best kept in groups.

5. OP
    OP
    TXflyFisher

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah I think I probably need to move him or get rid of him. I currently don't have any other tanks. I was I could get by with just 1 and use him to clean up a little bit but I'm not sure if it's going to work.

6. Racing1113

Racing1113Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +754
    Experience:
    Just started
    Cories need to be in groups of 6 or more, and in a 20 gallon minimum due to their activity level. Mollies also needs 20 gal minimum, preferably 29 gal. They have a very high bioload - basically they poop a lot and create a lot of ammonia, plus they get big. I would suggest returning all fish and either looking at the 10 gallon stocking list or creating a thread for stocking suggestions.

7. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I agree. Your stocking will not work for your 10g. Being only 2 weeks old and uncycled, you'll have a HUGE problem with all these fish in an uncycled tank. I would return them all immediately.

Like stated above, cory cats need 20g+ with a minimum of 5 and mollys have high bioloads which need 29g+.

I'm not sure about the crab since I'm unsure of what species it is.

8. OP
    OP
    TXflyFisher

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Sounds like I need to give away my 4 molly's and my cory. So does anyone live near DFW want some free fish? It won't let me post in the RAOK page.

9. tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you just got them from the fish store you should be able to return them within 14 days

10. OP
    OP
    TXflyFisher

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay so I've made a few changes. I returned the molly's and picked up 10 neon tetras. I left the ghost shrimp in my aquarium and also picked up a larger air stone.

Also I haven't seen my crab in a few days. I think he might have climbed up the power cord from my heater and escaped through the small hole in my hood. So there's that

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  11. PeteStevers

PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +271
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You should probably have not bought anymore fish until your tank has had a chance to cycle. Especially neon tetras. Those are not a very hardy fish. When your tank is cycling, it produces a very toxic environment for fish. Until the ammonia and nitrite are gone and nitrates are rising, fish will be at risk. Read the nitrogen cycle documentation. You may want to consider buying some PRIME to try and help your fish through the process. Adding that many fish at once to new uncycled tank not recommended.

Sorry, I thought a link would be created for the nitrogen cycle. Here it is Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle. Also, you need a liquid test kit so you can monitor your water parameters for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during the process. Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  12. tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I would also return the neon tetras. They are sensitive fish which should not be put in an uncycled tank. Plus they need 20g+ minimum. I've kept them for years and do not suggest them to any beginner because they can get disease so easily.

There's an entire 10g stocking list that is pinned. I suggest taking a look at that. Celestrial pearl danios are neat! And so are guppies, and many other fish suitable for a 10g. But first things first I would stick to returning the neons and properly cycling your tank