Trouble Keeping Water Clear

TXflyFisher

I seem to be having similar issues. I have a 10 Gallon tank 2 weeks old. brand new tank. brand new fluorite substrate. brand new planted plants. I am having trouble keeping it clear. It seems to cycle between clear and a white cloudy about 3 days.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
The white cloudiness is most likely a bacteria bloom. It is common for new tanks that are cycling to have a bloom. It should go away on its own.

OP
TXflyFisher

TXflyFisher

75g Discus Tank said:
The white cloudiness is most likely a bacteria bloom. It is common for new tanks that are cycling to have a bloom. It should go away on its own.
Okay that's kind of what I thought. I went ahead and put some fish in it anyways. Mainly due to my impatience. 4 Dalmation Molly's, 1 Cory, 5 glass shrimp and 1 little red claw crab. However I think the crab may have escaped because I haven't seen him since yesterday morning lol

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Cycling is the absolute worst part of fishkeeping because you know that you have a fish tank with water but you can't put fish in. It stinks. I also wouldn't recommend cories in your setup. A 10 gallon isn't enough to keep cories in because they wiggle around a lot. Cories are also best kept in groups.

OP
TXflyFisher

TXflyFisher

Yeah I think I probably need to move him or get rid of him. I currently don't have any other tanks. I was I could get by with just 1 and use him to clean up a little bit but I'm not sure if it's going to work.

Racing1113

Well Known
Cories need to be in groups of 6 or more, and in a 20 gallon minimum due to their activity level. Mollies also needs 20 gal minimum, preferably 29 gal. They have a very high bioload - basically they poop a lot and create a lot of ammonia, plus they get big. I would suggest returning all fish and either looking at the 10 gallon stocking list or creating a thread for stocking suggestions.

tokiodreamy

Well Known
I agree. Your stocking will not work for your 10g. Being only 2 weeks old and uncycled, you'll have a HUGE problem with all these fish in an uncycled tank. I would return them all immediately.

Like stated above, cory cats need 20g+ with a minimum of 5 and mollys have high bioloads which need 29g+.

I'm not sure about the crab since I'm unsure of what species it is.

OP
TXflyFisher

TXflyFisher

Sounds like I need to give away my 4 molly's and my cory. So does anyone live near DFW want some free fish? It won't let me post in the RAOK page.

tokiodreamy

Well Known
If you just got them from the fish store you should be able to return them within 14 days

OP
TXflyFisher

TXflyFisher

Okay so I've made a few changes. I returned the molly's and picked up 10 neon tetras. I left the ghost shrimp in my aquarium and also picked up a larger air stone.

Also I haven't seen my crab in a few days. I think he might have climbed up the power cord from my heater and escaped through the small hole in my hood. So there's that

PeteStevers

Well Known
You should probably have not bought anymore fish until your tank has had a chance to cycle. Especially neon tetras. Those are not a very hardy fish. When your tank is cycling, it produces a very toxic environment for fish. Until the ammonia and nitrite are gone and nitrates are rising, fish will be at risk. Read the nitrogen cycle documentation. You may want to consider buying some PRIME to try and help your fish through the process. Adding that many fish at once to new uncycled tank not recommended.

Sorry, I thought a link would be created for the nitrogen cycle. Here it is Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle. Also, you need a liquid test kit so you can monitor your water parameters for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during the process. Hope this helps

tokiodreamy

Well Known
I would also return the neon tetras. They are sensitive fish which should not be put in an uncycled tank. Plus they need 20g+ minimum. I've kept them for years and do not suggest them to any beginner because they can get disease so easily.

There's an entire 10 gallon stocking list that is pinned. I suggest taking a look at that. Celestrial pearl danios are neat! And so are guppies, and many other fish suitable for a 10g. But first things first I would stick to returning the neons and properly cycling your tank

New Threads