Trouble Keeping Nitrites Down

RachyReyny

So ever since I added driftwood to my tank, I've had problems with my nitrites being wonky. My ammonia is reading zero, nitrates at 20 ppm. I just changed my water last night and my nitrites are reading .25 ppm. My driftwood has a mossy algae growth, which I think is the culprit. When I added it, the only thing I was told was to water log it. After I started researching my issue, I read I was supposed to boil it! So I'm assuming I should take it out and clean it??
Let me tell you a little about my 29 gal tank!
I started out with adding 2 Amazon swords, anubias, Java fern, and some starter hornwort that died on me(will be adding java moss tonight). Right now I only have 8 zebra danios and 8 ghost shrimp.
Edit: I forgot filter info: penguin 200 bio wheel that I have a poly foam piece, then bio media, then ammonia/charcoal mix.

Gekco

Well Known
Boiling the driftwood is mainly to take out the tannins within the driftwood, if you don't boil it then your water can turn brown like a tea colour. Boiling also disinfects the wood so no parasites get into the tank. If you bought the driftwood from your LFS then there should be no worry of any parasites getting in your tank... If it was dry at least. Is there any nitrites in your tap water?

dcutl002

Well Known
What type of lighting do you have? Assuming Fluorescent, how many Watts? What is the color Temperature of the bulbs? Look for something like 5000K, 6000K, 6500K, 10000K, etc.

Gekco

Well Known
dcutl002 Mine is as well, and others are having an issue. A post got created 3 times. Try to reboot your browser, seemed to of fixed it for me.

BeesKnees

I wouldn't worry to much. Sounds like there is still a bit of bark/softwood/dirt that is rotting, it will settle down the algae will be feeding on this.
Boiling would've stopped it but I wouldn't be too concerned.

dcutl002

Well Known
Amazon Swords need a bit more PAR than the Stingray emits, but your other plants should have been OK. Anubias, Java moss, Java fern, and hornwort should be OK. Unsure why you lost them.

OP
RachyReyny

RachyReyny

Thanks BeesKnees, I was hoping it was something simple like that.
Dcut, I realized that after I got the swords the tag said moderate light, and I was going for low light. Someone on my last post told me they'd be okay, so I guess I'll be upgrading my light soon. It wasn't overly expensive.
The hornwort was sickly when I bought it sadly.

New Threads