Trouble in the 55

Discussion in 'Brackish Fish' started by peacemaker92, Apr 4, 2010.

1. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I have my Archer fish (Robin Hood) and Spotted Puffer (Spongebob) in my brackish 55 gal. RH has been in the 55 gal for 2 weeks now. I use to have another Archer in there till he died because of not eating. Now I have Spongebob in there too and he ain't eating as well. I have no idea what to do.

During feeding time, RH would just eat all the food and Spongebob would swim around below. And RH is having some swimming troubles. Sometimes he has trouble swimming straight. He would swim sideways and struggle to swim straight again.

My water parameters are fine. (stated in my updated aquarium info) :helpsmilie:

2. djbrist

djbrist Valued Member Member

Hey Peace,

What have you been feeding the boys?
    How big is RH?
    What Specific gravity is your H2O at?

Bummer it is troubling you, maybe I can help, I wanted an archer a while back and researched a little on them.

Dave

3. D

DSwofford Valued Member Member

Any change in color in the fish? Any splotches or growths on the fish?

4. OP
    OP
    peacemaker92

Thanks for the reply! :)

I feed them blood worms but only Robin Hood was the one who ate the whole lot. So I tried switching to pellets last night and they all started eating but slowly. I figured Spongebob was lonely so I brought home 3 more friends for him and they've all settled in quite nicely. :D

RH is around 2-3 inches big. He's still having the swimming problem everytime I visit the tank.

Specific gravity? I don't know because I don't have a hydrometer... :(

There's not been any growths lately but the week I got RH, there was this light brownish growth on his body close to his left fin. I didn't know what it was but after a few days of worrying, I didn't see it anymore...

5. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

You will need to get a Hydrometer you never know when your gravity may be to high or to low here is an inexpensive one 8$

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    peacemaker92

Thanks CS but the link you provided me is in US and it so happens that I don't live in the US. I'll try to find one in my LFS if possible at a good price. Thanks for info.

7. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to say but you shouldn't keep Green Spotted Puffers with any other fish except other GSP's, and a 55 gallon tank is only big enough for 2. :( Hopefully you can figure out what to do about your fish! I hope they get well soon!

8. OP
    OP
    peacemaker92

Hi Maddie. Thanks for the advice. I knew that before I got them. My Archer has been doing fine with my puffers and vice versa. I've seen no aggression lately and recently I fed them some feeder fish and they were all happily sharing, like literally! But I'll be getting a bigger tank soon hopefully and we'll move them as they grow bigger. No need to worry :) Thanks!

9. A

Aquarium Valued Member Member

I Have a GSP juvenile alone in a 60 gallon. eats like a pig^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice