Trouble ID'ing Cichlid.

1. DNA Initiate Member

Hi all!
    Yesterday i received what I think are "red top black bars".
    I dont currently have any pics but from the photos i googled mine dont have the colours on the dorsal finsor the deep black on the faces but do have a nice sparkly blue on the gills. Ill try get some photos for yous soon. is it possible the colours dont develop till theyre older?

Cheers

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Fish get stressed in transport. They may color up once they've settled in to their new environment.

3. DNA Initiate Member

Theyve done pretty well colouring up theyre vertical stripes have become very dark and theyve begun digging and trying to take dominance but just no pretty dorsal fin colours and theyre only blue

Update;
    Here is the actual picture.
    [​IMG]

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :;toast

Nice looking fish! It looks like a Slender Mbuna (Pseudotropheus elongatus).

5. DNA Initiate Member

Update;

Actual photo uploaded a couple posts up!

6. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm... now that I see the actual fish I'm thinking it is possibly a Red Top Zebra Mbuna (Metriaclima Zebra " Nakatenga ").

7. DNA Initiate Member

Is that the same as the red top black bar? Also what would explain no red top dorsal fin?

Cheers!

8. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

It might be. Common names are unreliable so I can't say exactly. If the fish is a juvi then it could develop the colored dorsal fin as it matures. If the fish is an adult then it could be a hybrid.