Trouble guppies

redmare

So I have 5 male guppies in my new 30 gallon, currently just with 5 honey gouramis as well. THEY DON'T STOP! They're crazy all the time, I think they bother the gouramis. They totally dominate food, as well. 4 of them have been really ganging up one one as well. I just moved that guy to my 5 gallon shrimp tank just for a break while I figure out what to do. I don't really want to rehome them, they're so gorgeous, but I feel like something's not working.

jake37

Git em some 'emales. That'll keep em busy.
-

redmare said:
So I have 5 male guppies in my new 30 gallon, currently just with 5 honey gouramis as well. THEY DON'T STOP! They're crazy all the time, I think they bother the gouramis. They totally dominate food, as well. 4 of them have been really ganging up one one as well. I just moved that guy to my 5 gallon shrimp tank just for a break while I figure out what to do. I don't really want to rehome them, they're so gorgeous, but I feel like something's not working.

redmare

jake37 said:
Git em some 'emales. That'll keep em busy.
-
The problem is I don't really want a hundred baby guppies! I was also really wanting a school of cardinal tetras and I think it would be overstocked since I would have to add 10 females

YellowGuppy

I tried keeping a pearl gourami in my guppy tank, and unfortunately had a tragic ending for the gourami. Guppies are greedy little water pigs, and some slower, more placid tank mates aren't necessarily ideal from what I've personally experienced.

Mii

I would try reducing the number of guppies to like 2 or 3 so they can't out compete the gouramis for foodz.

redmare

YellowGuppy said:
I tried keeping a pearl gourami in my guppy tank, and unfortunately had a tragic ending for the gourami. Guppies are greedy little water pigs, and some slower, more placid tank mates aren't necessarily ideal from what I've personally experienced.
The good thing is the gouramis are definitely getting their fair share, at least for now.

Mii said:
I would try reducing the number of guppies to like 2 or 3 so they can't out compete the gouramis for foodz.
I can add the second most docile one to the 5 gallon for now? The 4 remaining do seem to be a bit calmer

NofishB4

I only have 1 male guppy left and i found when I added my rummynose tetras he would get distracted from harrowing the 2 girls in there because there is more movement in the tank. I also found all my males (started with 10) relaxed as they matured a bit. Still ADHD but not as manic. As for fry the betta and gourami take care of that!!!

jake37

First you don't have to get 10; those guidelines are ****. You could get 2 or 3. As for the frys - well i ended up adding some female bettas to chase down frys. anyway i don't think there is a magical way to calm down the male-male aggression without females.

redmare said:
The problem is I don't really want a hundred baby guppies! I was also really wanting a school of cardinal tetras and I think it would be overstocked since I would have to add 10 females

NofishB4

jake37 said:
First you don't have to get 10; those guidelines are ****. You could get 2 or 3. As for the frys - well i ended up adding some female bettas to chase down frys. anyway i don't think there is a magical way to calm down the male-male aggression without females.
I wasn't suggesting 10. I was saying I started with 10 males and that all of them calmed down as they matured. I didn't add the females until I only had 1 male (not one of the original 10). So there is hope for OP but just adding the cardinals and seeing how they do with the extra distractions. And if you add females then you definitely want a 2-1 ratio...if you think they're harrasing the gourami then they are definitely next level with female guppies.

Nobody

I had 3 male Endlers that kept harassing my ram and platies. I gave them away. They were pecking and rubbing them to the point of wearing their slime coat away.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom