Trouble Getting To 30 Ppm

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Katepete722, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Katepete722

Katepete722 New Member Member

Hello fish folks!

I recently made some changes to my 29g tank that have been overall really beneficial, however I'm having a hard time getting my co2 back up to 30 ppm.

Previously I was running a fluval 80g regulator hooked up to a paintball tank with the little fluval diffuser disk that the kit comes with. In the tank I had a Penguin Bio-wheel HOB filter and one of those hydor nano powerheads, but the circulation in the tank was pretty poor. There were many deadzones and I was having lots of trouble with algae. However, I had no issue getting the co2 up to 30 ppm (using a drop checker) with 2-3 bubbles per second.

I decided to upgrade to a canister filter and now have a Penn Plax 700 running. I'm using the single outlet and now have great flow in the tank. Fish are way happier! Anyway, I've upped the co2 to 4-5 bubbles per second, honestly I cant count that fast, and the drop checker is barely changing color. Everything about the co2 system is the same, and the plants seem really happy with a fine mist of microbubbles over the tank, however the drop checker is staying stubbornly blue. I know an inline diffuser would be optimal, but not sure that's in the budget at this point. Is there anything else I can change to improve co2 levels? Would using the spray bar instead of the single outlet help? Maybe a larger diffuser?

Any help is appreciated!

2. aniroc

aniroc Well Known Member Member

Healthy, fast growing plants are pretty quick at consuming CO2. Try to start injection before lights are on.

It is also possible that some of the water in the drop checker evaporated and the solution is more concentrated than a standard 4 dKH. Therefore, it will change color at a much higher CO2 concentration.

3. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Dear @Katepete722 ,

Please do ask any following questions after watching these videos. I would be more than happy to help you through the process.

Happy Fish Keeping

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice