Trouble Getting My Mystery Snails To Lay Eggs.

Discussion in 'Snails' started by TiltedTank, Jun 25, 2019.

1. TiltedTank

TiltedTankNew MemberMember

Hello everyone! I am having issues getting my mystery snails to lay eggs. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. They seem to mate all the time yet no eggs. I have several in a 10 gallon tank with the temp around 80 degrees. I feed the french cut green beans and am now also feeding them Hikari gold sinking pellets that are made for chiclids. I also drop in a pure calcium tab here and there and have a cuttlebone at the bottom of the tank. I have started last night feeding them a ton of green beans and the pellets as I read that over feeding them can trigger egg laying? I also am using a sponge filter as well as a HOB. Any help or advice would be amazing. Thank you for reading and replying!

2. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

They lay their eggs above the surface of the water, so is your water level low enough for them to do that?

3. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

I always seem to forget one detail when I post :p Yes I have the tank water down at least a couple inches from the black top around the tank.

4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure you have a female? Males will try to mate with other males, so you need to make sure you have at least one gal in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

Unless I am the most unlucky feller in the world, although sometimes I wonder :) I would hope I have a female out of about 20 snails. Some are bigger then a quarter. I just did a 75% water change and tested the water and everything seemed OK. I don't think I am going to feed them anymore green beans as they are just making the tank a mess, and it did not seem like much was eaten. I also am not sure about the Cichlid Gold pellets either. I do have some Repashy super green I may try that. I know when I had them in another tank they liked it pretty well. I had the water on about 81 so I turned it down a bit, gonna shoot for around 77-78.

6. LacyKay

LacyKayNew MemberMember

I'm in a similar position... I have two very similar tanks (water temp, chemistry, tank mates). The snails in tank one mate ALL THE TIME, while in tank 2 there's a fair amount of mating, too. Yet tank 1 I *may* get a clutch laid every 2-3 weeks, while in tank 2 I'm getting 1-3 clutches every night. I swear I'm beginning to think that tank 1 is the gay snail tank (I've definitely witnessed some male-male action...). Sigh.

7. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

I think mine are just on strike. I am just not sure what they are striking about? They eat better than me :D In the end I think even though it frustrates me that things don't go according to plan, I think that may be what I like most about it is the puzzles to solve.

8. fjh

How many are larger than a quarter? and you have 20 snails in one 10g tank... any tank mates and what are the parameters?

They should breed in anything between 65 and 80 degrees. Shoot for mid 70s and you should be good. Make sure you dont overfeed and you remove uneaten food after 24hrs because that can easily cause your parameters to spike, and they can be sensitive to that.

9. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

I would say at least 6 are over a quarter size. I checked the water tonight and all was good. I did not check nitrates, but I did a 75% water change and cleaned up all the green beans I put in there last night, which was a ton. Yeah I might of went a bit overboard hehe. Lesson learned as it was a MESS to clean up! The snails are the only thing in the tank.
    I also had one of those old fluorescent bulb hoods on it and I replaced it tonight with a new homemade plastic hood. I now have some nice condensation in the upper part of the tank where there is no water. I suppose all 6 or so could be males, but boy oh boy they sure like to fool around. Tank temp is now 78ish. Does it need to be pitch black in the room for them to lay eggs? I have my brine shrimp hatchery in the same room so it does put out some light, although the rest of the room is dark.

10. fjh

I would check nitrates as well, just to make sure. Nope it does not need to be pitch black, though they do prefer to lay their clutches at night.

Honestly if you paid for shipping I would love to send you a few of my females. They lay about a clutch a week and just wont stop! I separated them from the males about 2 months ago and I still find clutches on my hood and glass... Once yours start laying, they will keep laying eggs, so careful what you wish for lol.

11. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

I would not turn down some females, and would be happy to pay shipping :) At least then I would know if it is me or my snails lol. I can not send private messages yet, I guess you need to hit 50 posts first. I am getting there slowly but surely hehe. Let me know.

12. fjh

okay, shoot me a message when you get to 50 then :)

13. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

Okie dokie. Is there any sort of way to "friend" a person?

14. fjh

You can follow someone. not sure how to do it from the app, but you can go to the person's profile and click "follow" from there

15. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

Alrighty, I am following you now. I will let ya know when I hit 50. Thank you so much for the help :)

16. JDK426

JDK426Valued MemberMember

I am watching this post. I to am thinking about getting snails, and I was under the impressions these things breed faster than guppies lol. And much like you my luck is about the same. I could get 20 snails and everyone be the same sex lol

17. OP
    OP
    TiltedTank

Well, I can happily report that finally I have a female up at the top of my 55 laying eggs right now!!
    Here is what I found out/learned.
    I had a bunch in a 10 gallon tank were talking 20 or so? Some large some small but still way to many. I could not keep the ammonia from spiking, doing water changes all the time. So, I decided to move them all out of the tank and put them in my other tanks around the house. I put the largest ones in the 55, I put some in my 20 tall that houses my multi's, and some in another 10 that houses my female guppies, which is a temporary tank as it is my hospital tank most times. Of course I do not leave any fish in the tank if I have to do a treatment on new fish or anything that might pop up. I have several tanks that are being setup as we speak, getting them cycled and whatnot.
    So while I had them in the 10 I fed them a lot of pellets and some Repashy. They liked the Repashy not the pellets so much, pellets were Hikari gold cichlid. So after doing some research I decided to make some snail jello.
    I used some Repashy, algae wafers, some tropical flakes, fresh zucchini, collard greens and cucumber, as well as some spirulina tabs and a couple calcium tabs (without vit D) and made a slurry and mixed in some gelatin (non flavored) I froze it and then dropped some into the tank. They went nuts for this stuff! I never saw them swarm any food I put in there like they did that stuff. I also add in some blanched cucumber and zucchini too, which they enjoy.
    The only problem I had with this mixture is I may not of added enough gelatin, as it really broke up kinda fast and just was a big cloud and swirl of green everywhere! So instead of 2 packets, I think next time I will use 4! and hope that makes a difference. So now I wait and see if they hatch, I am going to make a incubator of some sort for the eggs and hope for the best. At the very least I now have 1 egg layer and I expect I will have more soon! Wooohooo!!