Trouble Feeding Snails?!

1. FishyWater2525 Member Member

Hello!

A few weeks ago I got 2 Nerite Snails for my 20gH and some Hikari Algae Wafers. After they had cleaned all the algae out of my tank I put a piece of an algae wafer in there. But before either snail could even find it, all my fish attacked it and ate it!! I tried again a couple days later only to get the same results.... :(
    Then I came up with an idea. I took the cup that my Betta came in and put some water from my aquarium in it. Then I let it float in the water. I then put a piece of an algae wafer in there and placed both snails in the cup. The snails refused to eat straight from the piece of algae wafer, but as the algae wafer fell apart a little bit they would go around and eat all the tiny pieces. I left them in there for 45 min. and then placed them back in the tank.
    Do you guys think this is reasonable and ok? Or is there another method I could use?
    And also, I only do this every few days, so as not to over feed them ;)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

I would definitely try some zucchini either use a clip or lightly cook it so it will sink. I have very ravenous fish as well and also 2 Nerite snails, and they for the most part leave the zucchini alone or leave enough left overs. Some advise leaving it in 24-48 hrs. But I prefer no more than 24 hours. I'd also try searching a few threads on here regarding fresh foods you can prepare for your wet ones :)

Good Luck :)

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I would start them on fresh veggies such as zucchini, squash, carrots, etc.

MOST fish will not eat these as readily and I believe they provide more nutrition to the snails.

My snails LOVE zucchini and carrots/squash. Especially around Halloween time I hollow out a mini pumpkin and the snails are in there for days! :)

I put raw veggies on a bbq skewer in the tank and its usually gone in 3 days ( a 3 inch piece of zucchini for example )