Trouble feeding corys!

shollia

Reaction score
Alrighty.. so we got 2 corys in our 28gallon (had another but it died). One is a spotted? that is very tiny, while the other is a green that is already almost 3inches (didn't look that big when we got it).

So anyways.. I'm really worried about them b/c I'm afraid that they're not getting enough to eat.
For one thing.. our gravel is more like rocks. They're kinda large... so food that might go down to the bottom will go into the many openings and disappear so the corys can't get to it.
When we got them, I got a bag of small sinking wafers, BUT same things happens.. I try to drop them where the corys swim, but they don't see them and the wafers just end up sort getting wedged inbetween rocks where it's out of sight.. which is very easy b/c they blend into the gravel.

So what other kinds of food could we get to give to the corys that won't disappear underneath the larger gravel/rocks we have?

AngelSta

Reaction score
There's not really any food that wouldn't get wedged between rocks, if you think about it food either sinks or floats. You could consider asking your fish shop assistant for help. Your tank isn't to big so you might even consider getting some gravel instead of rocks for not too much money.
I hope it works out!
AngelSta

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Cory cats constantly swim all over the bottom looking for food and find more food than you think. Tubifex worms might be an option no more than twice a week because they are very fatty and messy. Get the cubes. You can stick the cube against the glass just above the gravel.

wolfman21

Reaction score
If you can get some gravel to fill in the gaps between the larger rocks, that would probably be a good option. Corys don't use their eyes as their primary sense when it comes to finding food. They use their barbels, which have sensory organs on them to find the food. They will be able to find it if they want it. I guess if you don't want gravel, try to "aim" to where there is a good spot not between cracks. Algae wafers are good, as are shrimp pellets, and Tubifex worms would be good also, as was already mentioned.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
  Read up on the corys in the catfish section and I think you will also find they are happier, and feed better if you have at least 3 of each different kind.  They like to swim with others with the same spots!   Strange little creatures.   They have to have others they are comfy with to feel like getting out and looking for that food.

Fish in the Frozen North!  8)

OP
S

shollia

Reaction score
Gunnie said:
Cory cats constantly swim all over the bottom looking for food and find more food than you think.  Tubifex worms might be an option no more than twice a week because they are very fatty and messy.  Get the cubes.  You can stick the cube against the glass just above the gravel.   

Oh thanks for that! I'll have to look for some when we go to the pet store this weekend.
I'll also keep in mind about getting more of the same kinds. I thought they might be like other fish.. kinda schooling with their own kind no matter the markings... but I guess I was wrong heh.. oops.
I know the petsmart we went to didn't have anymore spotted ones, but I'll check next time we go

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
shollia said:
Gunnie said:
Cory cats constantly swim all over the bottom looking for food and find more food than you think.  Tubifex worms might be an option no more than twice a week because they are very fatty and messy.  Get the cubes.  You can stick the cube against the glass just above the gravel.   

Oh thanks for that! I'll have to look for some when we go to the pet store this weekend.
I'll also keep in mind about getting more of the same kinds. I thought they might be like other fish.. kinda schooling with their own kind no matter the markings... but I guess I was wrong heh.. oops.
I know the petsmart we went to didn't have anymore spotted ones, but I'll check next time we go

Look for the HikarI or Omega One brands when buying tubifex worms. A lot of hobbyists have posted that the Wardley brand is not eaten by their fish. I think they are probably old and stale. My fish wouldn't touch them, but go nuts over the HikarI and Omega One brands.

New Threads