Trouble deciding on new 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by HIKER7s, Jul 28, 2015.

1. H

HIKER7s New Member Member

Hi, new here and now that I am getting back into this I should be here alot.

i had a fish tank most of my adult life up to the last 15 years. sure there were the ten gallon jobs with the kids and stuff but I really didn't have the time or really the space for what i wanted.

now though I am wanting to purchase a new 55 gallon tank. it is going to be freshwater and i intend using it for a semi aggressive/community tank.

first though, i need to make it happen! i am confused by all the pros and cons between glass and acrylic. i think acrylic is the way to go i guess i just need reassurance in that dept.

i am not looking to spend more than 800 for the tank/stand/ light and filter. i could go higher but i am not looking for alot of lights and whistles. i also want to do a cannister filter for the first time but really don't understand about therm such as- is it mandatory to route it through the bottom of the tank?

the weight of a fully loaded tank also concerns me as far as what stand to choose. they obviously hold the tanks but they dont look strong, you know what i mean??

so, what i was wondering what are your thoughts. appreciate it in advance thanks!

AT ME-GA HIKER7s

2. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

A 55 gallon tank will weight (7 pounds per gallon) just under 400 lbs for the water and another 50 or so for tank and substrate...that puts you at just under 500 lbs ish.. As long as the stand is braced correctly it should be fine. I made my own stand years ago.....it is still supporting the tank.

I have no idea on glass vs. acrylic. Have always had glass. If you like acrylic go for it! Here you can find compete 55 gallon tanks (glass) with stands and hoods for couple hundred bucks. New your three or four times that.

One word of advice, rarely do you ever hear anyone complain their tanks are too big. I upgraded from a 55 to a 75 gallon and it was a huge improvement. Really took up almost the same amount of space, so many more fish possibilities. I am having troubles with my stock (guppies) but that is my fault not the tank. Suggest you get as large of tank as you can afford/have space for. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby.

3. OP
    OP
    H

HIKER7s New Member Member

Hey thanks! Funny I was thinking of 75 really. I just worry about the stand choice. I think I'm going with the acrylic

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Have a read about this, glass vs acrylic tanks:

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Also, you can easily spend under $800 if you have a Petco near you. The $1 per gal sale is going on until Aug 6th or 8th I believe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice