Trouble Curing Fin Rot?

kithara

Reaction score
Hi, I have a betta fish that shows all the symptoms of fin rot (fraying, black tail ends) but I'm having trouble curing him.
I've isolated him in a sterile 1 gallon tank (his regular tank is recycling now that I've changed the gravel and washed everything with boiling water) The few decorations he has in there with him have been washed in hot water.
I've done 100% water changes daily with 1tsp aquarium salt, the regular water conditioner I've always used and a 1/8tsp of baking soda (I have very low pH in the water where I live). I did this for 7 days and he's shown no sign of recovery, he's only getting worse!
There's no way there can still be fin rot bacteria in the medical tank so I'm lost on what steps to take next. Am I not using enough Aq. salt or could he have something else that shows fin rot symptoms? Other than his badly fraying fins he is eating normally and feisty as ever. Please help!

kithara

Reaction score
Psst, so tonight when I was doing his water change (without salt now, don't want to over do it because I know it can be hard on their system). I noticed the worst decay is on the upper part of his back fin but all the other fins are okay (including the lower half of his back fin?) If it was a bacterial infection then shouldn't it be affecting all the fins? Maybe I have a bad fin nipper instead? Guh, he's my first fish guys, and he seems to throw me for a loop no matter how much research I do! @_@

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What is the pH where you are? Likely it is better to just leave it as baking soda can cause jumps.

You'll get better (betta) and faster results if you use malachite green to treat the fin rot ime.

What is the size of tank? What are the tankmates?

kithara

Reaction score
Discus-Tang said:
What is the pH where you are? Likely it is better to just leave it as baking soda can cause jumps.

You'll get better (betta) and faster results if you use malachite green to treat the fin rot ime.

What is the size of tank? What are the tankmates?
My pH is usually low 6.0 without baking soda, I've tried using storebought pH up but it doesn't make much of a difference.. I know it's not a great fix so I'm good with getting rid of the baking soda if it won't shock him.

(Haha nice pun there ) Can I get malachite green at the pet store? That's a new idea I'm down to try.

My betta's got a 2.5 gallon tank with no other fish, just some decorations (which I made sure aren't hard on his fins) and a moss ball he likes to chew on.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay. Yep you can get malachite green at a fish store, go to the medication section and look at the ingredients. Generally they are called fungal/fin rot remedies. Avoid pimafix, melafix and bettafix.

If possible, get a 5 gallon tank for your betta and move everything over.

Try using crushed coral to make your pH higher, or if you live near a beach some seashells. Make sure to boil them first.

I'm very jealous of your pH, mine is too high!

kithara

Reaction score
Discus-Tang said:
Okay. Yep you can get malachite green at a fish store, go to the medication section and look at the ingredients. Generally they are called fungal/fin rot remedies. Avoid pimafix, melafix and bettafix.

If possible, get a 5 gallon tank for your betta and move everything over.

Try using crushed coral to make your pH higher, or if you live near a beach some seashells. Make sure to boil them first.

I'm very jealous of your pH, mine is too high!
Thank you so much! I'll give it a go and see what happens

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom