Tropical Tank Issue During Ick Treatment - Neon Tetras Dying

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will start this post by saying this is my first tank and my first foray into fishkeeping.

I set up my tank 4 weeks ago (water was dosed with AquaSafe and SafeStart).

My tank set up is:

Aquael Glossy Cube 135L
Aquael ASAP 700 Filter (650L/H) (Standard Foam Filter Media Fitted)
EHEIM 100w Heater (Set 25deg)
EHEIM Air Pump 200 (50-200L/H)

I introduced fish after 2 weeks (once I had confirmed the tank was cycled). Fish were acclimatised to the water correctly and API Melafix was dosed for the next 3 days.

Fish introduced:
11x Neon Tetra
10x Green Neon Tetra

At the same time SeaChem pHAlert and Ammonia alert indicators where added which showed 6.6pH and Safe level of Ammonia.

All seemed well, but I noticed that one of the Neon Tetras we had got was significantly bigger than the others and was chasing them around, but thought I would just keep an eye on it.

A short while later in the week I noticed white spots on some of the fish and after looking at the possibilities, I decided the most feasible cause was Ick. I described the symptoms to my LFS and they also said it was highly likely it was Ick so I went there to buy some treatment. I also segregated the large neon from the other fish using a net breeder as I suspected the cause of the Ick was through stress caused by this fish.

I performed a partial water change as it was due shortly anyway (added Easy Balance) and increased aeration and increased the temperature to 27deg over 2 hours (which was the maximum the tetras could tolerate according to what I read online), the LFS suggested I medicate the tank straight away so I purchased some NTLabs White Spot & Fungus Treatment and dosed this as per the instructions.

The fish all seemed to be doing well until today (day 6 of treatment, the day after 3rd dose of treatment). Upon waking up this morning 1x neon was dead and a further 2x neons have died throughout the day. I can't work out what's going wrong ???

Water test confirmed the water parameters are still ok slightly elevated Nitrites but still within range, I added an extra airstone and increased aeration to maximum after finding the first dead fish this morning. The treatment states not to do another water change until 7 days after treatment finished.

Any ideas what could be going wrong? Or where I am going wrong in my actions to try to remedy the situation?

Static823

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
One thing to remember is that tetras are VERY sensitive to the medicine found in ich treatments. It is highly recommended that you only give a half dose to the tank when tetras are present. Keep the temperature up and maybe add a little bit of aquarium salt to the tank.

OP
M

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Static823 said:
One thing to remember is that tetras are VERY sensitive to the medicine found in ich treatments. It is highly recommended that you only give a half dose to the tank when tetras are present. Keep the temperature up and maybe add a little bit of aquarium salt to the tank.
Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of the sensitivity, my LFS didn't mention this and neither did the instructions. Been giving 6.5ml (full dose) do you think this could be why?

Would you recommend still doing the last dose tomorrow or not? There are no white spots on the fish now but the instructions say it's intended for 4 doses over 7 days, but I'm worried about any more fish dying if I do it.

I've got aquarium salt on order but it's not due until Thursday due to the current covid climate.

Is 27 degrees the right temperature or would you go higher?

Static823

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Instead of a full dose tomorrow, skip the dose tomorrow then give a half dose over the next couple of days. The full dose is likely severely stressing them out. Like I mentioned before add aquarium salt, it will help to reduce their stress.

OP
M

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Another question I have is what shall I do with the larger tetra that is currently segregated? Do I risk introducing it back into the tank, or try and return it to my LFS?

Static823

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A rule of thumb is that if you have ich in your tank, it's a good idea to treat all of your fish. If haven't been treating the bigger guy I would recommend that you do so. After that you can try to reintroduce him to the rest of the community. Try rearranging the decorations in your tank. To me it sounds like he was being a little territorial. Rearranging decorations is a way of chilling him out

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Out of curiosity what was the nitrite reading that was supposed to be "acceptable"? As far as I've ever known the only acceptable amount of nitrites is 0, plus neons are very fragile so it could just be the nitrites, or a combination of nitrites, stress and the ick

Static823

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lebeeze said:
Out of curiosity what was the nitrite reading that was supposed to be "acceptable"? As far as I've ever known the only acceptable amount of nitrites is 0, plus neons are very fragile so it could just be the nitrites, or a combination of nitrites, stress and the ick
I didn't even think to ask what "acceptable levels" were

OP
M

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lebeeze said:
Static823 said:
I didn't even think to ask what "acceptable levels" were
It was 0.25 last time we checked with test strips (have ordered an API master test kit, not too confident on the strips), the test strips say acceptable levels are below 0.3. I know it should be towards 0 but I've never been able to get it down to that level yet.

It was at 0.1 prior to adding the fish but spiked afterwards and we added some Tetra Safe Start

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh okay I've never used the strips so I dont really know how accurate they are. Wait for the api kit, just make sure to read the I instructions so you get the accurate readings, especially the nitrates

OP
M

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
4 more Neons dead this morning, the Green Neons seem to be doing ok still have colour all the normal Neons (that are still alive) have lost there colour and gone greyish.

Dosed with SafeStart (Bacteria) again last night incase the issue is Nitrate related.

Still not convinced on the reliability of the test strips the results from the app using camera phone and by eye against the colour chart are conflicting (see pictures)

App No2 = 0.68mg/l
Colour Chart by eye = <0.1mg/l

API master test kit and aquarium salt should arrive tomorrow now managed to get the delivery brought forward on Amazon.

Attachments

OP
M

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
API Master Testkit and Aquarium Salt have arrived.

The Aquarium Salt instructions say 1 tablespoon / 20L so if I follow the instructions that 6.5 tablespoon’s for my 130L tank.

Is this correct? or should I use a smaller amount?I’m cautious of following the instructions directly after giving the full dose of Ick treatment when I should of only given half.

OP
M

mtom1991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Water Test done today

pH = 7-7.2
Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10

Searching around the Internet recommends the obvious option of a water change but the medication Iv been using says not to do a water change for 7 days to complete treatment.

The other suggestion online is to lower the pH. I do have a bottle of pHDown is this an option I should consider ? or should I try and get something like Ammolock ?

Static823

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mtom1991 said:
The other suggestion online is to lower the pH. I do have a bottle of pHDown is this an option I should consider ? or should I try and get something like Ammolock ?
using chemicals to adjust the pH is like putting a band-aid on a wound that needs stitches. even though the directions for the treatment says not to, I think a water change is desperately needed. 25% now and then another 25% in a couple of days. more than anything, I would suspect that your losses are due to stress.

New Threads