Tropical Plants In Cold Water?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by XenoMarc, Apr 8, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    I've just been to the fish store to buy sand, wood, rocks and plants. We bought some plants: 2 anubias nana and 4 other plants but I don't know what species. We just started to cycling but the heater is still taking time and the water is very cold. I'm worried that the plants might die in the cold water but I'm also worried they'll die if kept in the plastic bag too long.
    Can tropical plants survive in cold water/plastic bag?
    Thank you.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I'm quite sure as long as the water is room temperature it's completely fine. Plants aren't so picky about temperatures as fish are.

3. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Thanks for the reply, but the water isn't room temperature. Even I find it too cold when putting my hand in there.

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Well, letting the bag or tank water sit in a room will solve that real quick.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Even in cold water they should be fine

6. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Yes I often keep plants that I purchase from the store amd leave them in a bag for a long while (about a day or two) in the bag that I revive them in the petstore. Luckily aquarium plants are quite hardy, as long as they are not too delicate. I buy tissue culture plants now. As they are grown 100% emersed will not dry out as Long as their container is not opened to the elements are 100% snail free :) and The downside to these tissue cultured plants is that In my experience, they take longer to get used to tank parameters than plants that have been in water for a while. As with your heater. I'd prepare a small bucket with water and place it under a Halegon bulb lamp. Or even better if you have a heat mat (if you are truly concerned)That will go fine. As long as the temp does not drop below freezing your plants should fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice