Tropical 20 Gallon Long, Stocking Advice.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Certingza, Apr 21, 2018.

1. CertingzaNew MemberMember

Hello everyone. I'm very new to this hobby and am really eager to jump right in. I just wanted to have someone else's take on my planned stocking for my first tank. I'm not going to get these fish for a while (tank is still cycling), but I just want to make sure what I have in mind can work.

I'm planning on having all of these in a 20 gallon long (planted tank). This tank has a Marineland Penguin Filter (200) running in it right now.

9x Neon Tetras
    9x Endler's Livebearers
    2x Bolivian Rams
    6x Kuhli Loaches

I plan on adding them in that order as well with about a week in between each different species so I don't "shock" the tank. Does this stocking sound alright? I'm only really worried about the two bolivian rams, I just want some sort of bigger fish that's peaceful.

Thank you!

2. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like a beautiful tank. I don't see any concerns. I will say to make sure you have a couple hides as the Kuhlis usually will hide during the day.

3. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I think you are are the top end of stocking, wouldn’t add anything else.

Are you getting all male endlers? If not, you be overstocked quickly.

My advice is once you are cycled and your stock is in, test regularly. You may need more than once a week water changes. I would change once nitrates get above 40ppm.

4. OP
    OP
    C

CertingzaNew MemberMember

Thank you! I'm really excited to see how the tank looks once I get all of them in there. I'm going to be sure that the kuhli's have a few places to hideaway during the day.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to get all male endlers for now. The idea of breeding seems really fun and interesting, but I don't want to overflow my tank with a bunch of endlers. I definitely don't plan on adding any more fish though until I get a bigger tank.

I'll also be sure to monitor the nitrate levels after each time I add a fish. I have an already cycled 10 gallon tank I can use in case things get bad. Thanks for the advice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice