Tropic Marin Pro measuring at only 1.018 SG?

Fishproblem

Hey fishlore - I'm mixing my first ever batch of salt! Very exciting. However, I just measured the SG after letting it mix for a few hours, and my reading is lower than I thought it would be. Tropic Marin says to mix 1/2 cup per gallon to reach a SG of 1.026. I did that, and I'm reading 1.018. I checked the "precalibrated" refractometer using distilled water, and found that it was a bit off, so I just calibrated it before getting to the 1.018 reading. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to wait longer? Or should I just slowly add more salt until I hit my desired SG of 1.025?

Frank the Fish guy

Always trust your salinity measurement and set the amount of salt base on that. Volume measurements (1/2 cup etc.) are just a rough guide.

If you doubt your refractometer, take it to you local fish store and compare your measurements to theirs.

Fishproblem

Frank the Fish guy said:
Always trust your salinity measurement and set the amount of salt base on that. Volume measurements (1/2 cup etc.) are just a rough guide.

If you doubt your refractometer, take it to you local fish store and compare your measurements to theirs.
This makes me feel a lot better! I ended up adding an additional 6-8 tablespoons of salt to get 2 gallons of water up to 1.026 last night, and I was pretty concerned I'd done something wrong. But I have a brand new Brix refractometer that I just calibrated with distilled water, and since has been consistently reading distilled at 1.000 SG. Glad to know I didn't totally goof up the most basic element of keeping a SW tank!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom