Trochus snails flipping over

Risque

I have had these 6 Trochus snails in my tank for nearly 3 weeks now, they've been great helping me clear diatoms which I had on my live rock. Today, I noticed 3 of them tipped over on their sides on my sand. I re-uprighted them and two of them started moving again, one of them has remained still for quite a while. I am afraid it had drowned?? Do trochus snails drown like turbo snails if they are flipped over or are they able to reupright themselves? What causes the snails to get tipped/flipped over (considering there are no fish in my tank) and how do I prevent my snails from getting flipped over in future?

Aquarist

Good morning,

What an interesting snail! Hopefully some of our salt tank members will chime in today.

Ken

Mike

My turbo snails flip over all the time and I don't right them and they are just fine. Not sure on the trochus snails.

Risque

One of my trochus which flipped has died, didn't move from the same spot after being righted for a day and a half and the muscle/trapdoor wasn't shut properly anymore; can't figure out why. The others which flipped over, recovered. Haven't seen any of the other trochus flipping over again since. Very peculiar in my opinion.

Sturty

I have a pair of black damsels whick love playing with tiger sand conch and flipping it off the rocks into the sand, could any of you fish be playing silly buggers with your snails?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Matt
Replies
Views