Trisulfa Dosage - Help please

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Directions for Trisulfa say add contents of 1 packet per 10gallons of water and repeat every 24 hours for 5 days.

My tank is 6 gallons - it is not cycled and showing small amounts of Ammonia.

I have done 2 sessions of Fungus Eliminator - I think he looks better today- hard to tell.

I have just completed 50% water change and added carbon filter which I will run for several hours.

I have no idea how to measure/dissolve/add this to my tank. Should I continue with 25% water changes each day ??? ???

Or should I just hold off new medications for now? :-\

Thanks. Val

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
My Triple Sulfa, which I assume is the same thing as trisulfa is for a five gallon tank of water, and you add the whole capsule the first day. If your trisulfa is for ten gallons, then I would add half of it, or maybe a touch more to a 6 gallon tank on the first day. Mine says to wait 24 hours then add a second dose. On the third day, you would do a 25% water change and add another dose. You would then add a dose on the fourth day for a total of 4 doses. Then you would do a final 25% water change and put carbon back in the filter. If the problem is not resolved You may repeat this process.

Hope this has helped.

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
If you're convinced that further treatment is necessary, i.e., tail continues to deteriorate, and you plan to do treatment in your uncycled tank, which will call for regular water changes (at least 25% daily), then you'll need to do daily doses while also adding meds removed through water changes.

If your med directions are different than cherryrose's:

Day 1 dose:  What has been suggested here wrt to dosages for tank sizes different than that noted in the medication's directions (in this case the directions are for a 10 gal tank) is to dissolve the packet in 10 ounces of dechlorinated water (1 ounce per gallon), then add 6 ounces of that solution to the tank.  Save the remaining 4 ounces in the refrigerator.

Replacement water (Day 2):  Usually excess meds in liquid form (your remaining 4 ounces) would not be held over for subsequent treatments due to deterioration, but discarded.  In this case, I would use the 4 ounces left over from the first dose as the supply for the Day 2 replacement water.  If you replace two gallons of water on Day 2, take 2 ounces of the saved solution and add it to the replacement water.  Discard the remaining 2 ounces. 

Day 2 dose:  Do exactly as you did on Day 1, dissolve a packet in 10 ounces of dechlorinated water (1 ounce per gallon), then add 6 ounces of that solution to the tank.  Save the 4 remaining ounces of solution for the Day 3 replacement water.

Each day calls for a fresh dose.  Everyday you'll need to make up a new 10-ounce solution of meds and use 6 ounces of that new solution for that day's dose.  Your replacement water is another story.  The water you take out has a deteriorated level of meds in it, but an amount you should put back into the tank with the replacement water.  What you want to put back should be as equally deteriorated.  It seems to me that the closest med solution you'll get to the deteriorated meds coming out of the tank during a water change is from the day-before leftover solution.  If you skip a water change, discard the leftover solution from the prior dosing.  I wouldn't use any med solution more than 24 hours old.

Good luck.

Mike

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Mike & Cherry Rose.

Ya know, I am feeling so muddled and stupid for being on this forum All the time!

Neptune looks pretty frisky this morning - I left the tank overnight with the carbon filter. I am thinking I might just leave him and watch carefully - and just pray that this tank cycles soon - (which I doubt it will :-[ )- it has been a month with him in it. If by later today/tonight/tomorrow I see no further deterioration but am still getting weak ammonia tests, I will continue to do the 25% water changes.

If his fins seem raggedy again tomorrow, I will follow the instructions you gave. ( thanks to both of you for spelling them out as you did - I am too muddled to figure that out - I will print it off) . Duh

I am so thankful for your help - I don't mean to hog this forum - and I really am a reasonable, sane person - I just feel so overwhelmed; frustrated; guilty and confused with all the conflicting and differing information out there.

I am practically a pro when it comes to medicating/treating/ my 4 cats . How can this one little fish & aquarium have sent me over the edge?!

Is Dr. Phil in the house?

Val :'(

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
LOL Don't worry about asking too many questions. We are here to help (or ask questions ourselves LOL). You are doing a good job of caring for Neptune. I'm sure he will be fine. Ask as many questions as you need to.

CherryRose ;D

New Threads