triple sulfa killed my cycle. How to recover it in a 10 gallons tank with bettas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by parisianaccent, Dec 4, 2012.

1. p

parisianaccent New Member Member

I am so frustrated and anxious. I did cycle my 10 gallons tank (without fish) and have 2 bettas originally. One being sick, I am trying to cure it in a quarantine tank (I don't kow what he has but his fins are tight to his body for more than a month now). I have now 1 betta and 6 pygmy cories in half of the tank (I have a divider to allow 2 bettas).
    I added triple sulfa in the cycled tank to make sure my other betta and cories would not get sick (my betta appeared to have small dark ends to his fins. After 3 days, the dark ends went away). What a shock! Though Triple Sulfa says the medicine will not bother the cycle, after treatment, I realize I have 0.50 ammonia and almost no nitrates! I realized my cycle was messed up! I changed half of water right away. Added Nite-Out II as every time I changed water. The day after, again 0.50. I changed 25% of water and added double dose of Nite-Out II, plus Special Blend in the filter.
    What should I do to recover the cycle? How long will it take? The cycle was very well established and now it is going havoc!!!
    I am leaving in 3 weeks on vacation (for 10 days), and I need the cycle to be fixed before I leave otherwise I am afraid the fish will die in amonia!!!!!
    PLEASE HELP!
    Thank you,
    Sylvie

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Go ahead and stop using the nite-out and special blend. Do an almost complete water change, wait 24 hours, and then dump an entire well-shaken appropriately-sized bottle of Tetra SafeStart in your tank. Wait 2 weeks, no water changes - just feed your fish. At the end of 2 weeks you should be cycled (check your test readings) and be able to perform your normal maintenance.

3. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

I second what Eienna says on the tetra safe start. Just buy a bottle that treats a little more than 10 gals. Buy a bottle that treats 30 gal. Thats what i did for my 10 gal and all was fine. It doesn't hurt to add extra tss. The more the better imo. This will keep your fish safe and put back the good bacteria in your filter that it needs. Just dont do any water changes for at least 14 days and NO testing because the tss will give you false readings and it will scare you in to a water change! lol Also, feed very lightly 1x a day. Good Luck!

4. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

It is possible that the night out and other product you are using made it seem as if you were cycled and once the land based bacteria that those products contain died off, it caused the ammonia. And could be what has stressed your fish into becoming sick. I have a very similar thing happen to me, only using byozyme. Which is a lot like the night out. Good luck!!!

5. Eienna

No, that drug will affect the cycle. They should have warnings on them.

6. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Hmmm...Mine says it wont. And didnt when I had to use it on my 20 gal...maybe it depends on the brand. I used API brand...

7. Eienna

Maybe I'm thinking of the erythromycin. Regardless, the fix is the same :)

8. OP
    OP
    p

Thank you for the great advice. I tried Aquasafe Plus with SafeStart.
    However, I am puzzled. I wanted to cycle two 2.5g hospital tank (with one betta in each tank). Added AquaSafePlus and 20 ml Safestart at the same time, then fish. Since then, the readings show every day for 4 days now: 0.25-0.50ppm ammonia / 0 nitrites / 10+ nitrates. It does not seem normal to have ammonia and nitrates at the same time. What did I do wrong? Should I add more SafeStart to make things work? But if I add Safestart, will it increase the ammonia level in the tank???The fact that I added aquasafe with safestart (same time) was good or not? Is this normal to have ammonia and nitrates levels at the same time? PLEASE help! I need my two tanks to be cycled before I leave for 10 days on 24 December!

9. Eienna

You need to use SafeStart 24 hours AFTER your water conditioner. Otherwise, it can fail. What it looks like to me is that you got enough bacteria started to process all nitrites but not keep up with the ammonia. Try the straight SafeStart 24 hours after a water change, then 2 weeks no water changes.

10. OP
    OP
    p

Thank you again. I decided to made a full change of water with DeerPark Spring Water to avoid any need of conditioner (since there is no ammonia nor chloramines/chlorines in it). Put my fish back in the water (same temperature) and added TSS (I put more than 2x the dose as suggested in a lot of sites). The results are now (after two days) ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0 but nitrates: 80ppm!!!! (from the API test). Also the ph remains around 7.4
    Yesterday, I added for about two hours a tiny piece of almond leave that decreases the ph to 6.6, but as soon as I took it out (in fear it could disturb the cycle), the level returned to 7.4. I decided to leave it this way since bettas can tolerate such a ph level.
    But what about the nitrates???? In two days of cycle, the nitrates being so high, I am afraid it will kill my fish? Why ammonia and nitrites are fine (0) but not the nitrates?
    1) did I overdose the TSS (more than twice the dose)?
    2) Should I add another product called Tetra Easy balance that decreases nitrates and controls ph?
    3) Should I do another partial water change or leave it this way????

I count on you to still try to help.... THANKS!

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I would not make a habit of using bottled water - there are additives in it....

You should stop using products all together. Only thing you need is a quality water conditioner. That's it. The TSS should be the last product you use.

12. Eienna

Congratulations, you're cycled and can now do normal water changes to bring down the nitrates. No, you did not overdose - you really can't. Usually it takes 14 days but yours may either have been awake in the bottle or the first dose you did simply had not completely kicked in yet. As for the nitrates, I suspect your bottled water already had high nitrate levels. Test yours straight out of the bottle if you intend to keep using it. I wouldn't, personally, but rather do partials over the next few days until you're back to your own tap water (unless you decide to use RO, which is a whole other can o' worms and nothing you should jump into right at this moment.)

No, do not use other additives. They can actually make your water more unstable. For your water conditioner, I recommend Seachem Prime. It's superconcentrated so a bottle lasts a long time, and it's really good stuff :)

So, short answer - no more additives except your water conditioner, and go back to tap water but only in partial changes for a few days so you don't shock your fish - and go ahead and start water changes 'cuz you are officially cycled!

13. OP
    OP
    p

YOU ARE SO KIND! It is the first time I use a Forum, and I am so happy to have received your support and advice. THANK YOU so much! I will go back little by little to tap water with conditioner. Again THANK YOU!

14. Eienna

No problem at all! We're here to help and to learn. n_n
    Let us know if you have any more questions (or something to contribute, too!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice