Triops Again

BillynJennifer

IMG_20180319_235050.jpg

Starting a new batch of Triops. Hopefully I can raise them to adulthood this time.

PeauMon
I'm not gonna lie but Triops gives me the chills, I find them very creepy like it's going to grab your feet and devoured it slowly while you're in agony of pain... Sorry but goodluck on raising them! Thinking about their appearance gives me goose bumps

Milliemae124
Good luck

Keystone
Good luck - be sure to post lots of pics!

JoeCamaro
Good luck this time.
I have some triops eggs as well, maybe I should try to hatch them too.

BillynJennifer
I'm not gonna lie but Triops gives me the chills, I find them very creepy like it's going to grab your feet and devoured it slowly while you're in agony of pain... Sorry but goodluck on raising them! Thinking about their appearance gives me goose bumps
They don't bother me as much as those micro crabs do. They look like little spiders.

Good luck this time.
I have some triops eggs as well, maybe I should try to hatch them too.
I picked these up at Hobby Lobby. They're supposed to be the ones that grow to an inch and a half to two inches.

Milliemae124
They don't bother me as much as those micro crabs do. They look like little spiders.
Yes I agree, I hate spiders!

BillynJennifer
Yes I agree, I hate spiders!
I got bit by a Black Widow a few years back. Since then, spiders freak me out.

Milliemae124
I got bit by a Black Widow a few years back. Since then, spiders freak me out.
Oh no I bet that hurt! I once had quite a large spider crawl up my leg and that’s when my fear of spiders began

BillynJennifer
Oh no I bet that hurt! I once had quite a large spider crawl up my leg and that’s when my fear of spiders began
It felt like I had a charlie horse over my entire body.

Milliemae124
I hope your ok now!

BillynJennifer
75g Discus Tank
Are you going to feed them to fish?

BillynJennifer
Are you going to feed them to fish?
No. They're just another wet pet.

Keystone
Probably won't refill my vernal tanks until May. In addition to the one my triops showed up in the second tank held the fairy shrimp Branchinecta mediospinosa. If nothing hatches out in a month my next two egg sets are Branchinecta mackinI & Streptocephalus siamensis.

BillynJennifer
My first batch didn't make it. This is my second batch. I've got 4 of 9 that lived.

IMG_20180407_204348.jpg

BillynJennifer

IMG_20180412_212238.jpg

These two are the last of the Triops that hatched. I moved them into their new digs tonight.

Milliemae124
They are cool!

Dandelion-Dream
I'm going to start a Triops setup soon. Good luck with your shrimp!

BillynJennifer
I believe the Triop on top is a Cancriformis and the one on the bottom is a Longicaudatus. The bottom one has reached its full size because it's stopped growing. The top one is still growing.

IMG_20180417_124320.jpg

BillynJennifer

IMG_20180421_184736.jpg
IMG_20180421_185315_650.jpg

BillynJennifer
I don't think I've ever saw a male Triop, so this is the first. Unfortunately, my Triops have reached the end of their life. I'm going to dry everything out and start again.

e700e15fe96d8219df289b6a606434e6.jpg

VeiltailKing
Hey there!! It’s been a while since I’ve been here. I just thought I’d pop in to share my triops
I bought a little triops kit at Hobby Lobby and honestly didn’t expect much from it. However, I got two triops to hatch and they are growing very nicely!

042206-F8-DDFA-45-AF-862-C-B868-B3-E63-FE3.jpg

0-A1-E0-BFC-3-E68-48-ED-A426-F5870-A747513.jpg

11-E25-B20-02-C3-4273-82-BA-1-E23-AC69-E089.jpg
I used to have 4-6 others but I think these ones ate them as they were quite small... Anyways, they got a nice container upgrade today. I think it’s safe to say they’re happy? It’s hard to tell

goldface
They'd be just as happy living in a bird bath or a puddle on the side of a road. I'm slightly exaggerating, but you get my meaning, I think.

VeiltailKing

29-CD8651-7752-498-F-ADF1-C80-BE12910-AD.jpg
Successful molt from tonight!! Must’ve happened right before I came upstairs.

VeiltailKing
They'd be just as happy living in a bird bath or a puddle on the side of a road. I'm slightly exaggerating, but you get my meaning, I think.
I’m sure they would be haha I’ve noticed they are extremely hardy (hence why they are for kids) Nevertheless they are a fun way to venture away from just fish and shrimp for a while.

BillynJennifer
Once they've died off, dry your substrate, add water, and you've got a new generation of Triops.

MissNoodle
Ooooh these are really cool! They look like minI horseshoe crabs

VeiltailKing
Ooooh these are really cool! They look like minI horseshoe crabs
That’s what they remind me of as well!!

goldface
They always reminded me of sand rays from the show Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

I’m sure they would be haha I’ve noticed they are extremely hardy (hence why they are for kids) Nevertheless they are a fun way to venture away from just fish and shrimp for a while.
You may be interested in fairy shrimp too. They are seasonal creatures as well.

VeiltailKing
One of my triops is beginning to dig around in the sand a lot. I believe this is a sign that it’s about time to lay eggs, right?

coralbandit
Sounds very cool .
I almost got some years ago ..
I think they don't last long after eggs are laid ?
How long have you had them ?

VeiltailKing
Sounds very cool .
I almost got some years ago ..
I think they don't last long after eggs are laid ?
How long have you had them ?
I’ve had them for about two weeks. I was reading up on it and found that they only last a few weeks after laying eggs. But if I care for the eggs properly I should have plenty more!

H Farnsworth
Can these be put in a community tank? Or are they aggressive?

BillynJennifer
Can these be put in a community tank? Or are they aggressive?

They are not aggresive with the exception of other Triops. Your fish in a community tank will eat your Triops pretty quickly.

H Farnsworth
Cool

H Farnsworth
is a dry phase required for eggs to hatch?

BillynJennifer
is a dry phase required for eggs to hatch?

Sometimes, Triops will lay eggs that will hatch without a drying out phase. It doesn't happen often. The drying out phase will give you a much better chance of having new generations hatch out.

richiep
I found getting them through the first week was a challenge once that's was done its pretty good, never had eggs hatch without drying out but know of cases where it as happened, eggs can stay dry for 20+ years and still hatch when conditions are right, although they are sold in toy shops I found it very frustrating to get them going, reading this as got me going again ive got a few thousand eggs here so after xmas ill start again, most come from Vernon pools Australia but here in the UK we have a place in Scotland where they still survive

richiep
why they class these as kids projects I don't know, I tried with rain water,bottled water, ro water, tap water with different wattage bulbs and can honestly say the air was blue, even after I got them hatching in ro water i'd only get 4 or 5 out of a hundred or more eggs put in

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Keystone
Replies
Views
BillynJennifer
Replies
Views
BillynJennifer
Replies
Views