Question Trimming Swords

TheMysticWizard

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you recognize my name, you probably know that I am trying to get my plants growing and looking good. Thus I have been struggling with algae/diatoms and slow growth. Things however are improving greatly in the last week or 2. That being said, I did some trimming today.

Am I correct in removing leaves that look like this?:

IMG_20200711_210554.jpg

If the leaves have holes and this amount of algae on them, I figure they're more of a burden to the plant than anything else at this point... is that correct thinking?

I cut 4 leaves off my sword like this, my sword kind of looks bare now, but the rest of it is fairly healthy:

IMG_20200711_211051.jpg

Just wondering if I'm doing the right things.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes you did it right. You wanna trim them as far down as you can to encourage new growth. Leaves that aren't growing, are usually dying. No in between.
Are you using any root tabs or any fertilizers? I've had a lot of success growing swords with root tabs and iron.
For swords, the part right above the roots, leave it above the substrate. Plant it, but leave it a little loose.

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm really no expert at all, but I'm growing a flame sword. All the leaves it came with started to hardcore die pretty much right away. From what I'd read, I just left them, and in about 3 months all the originals have melted back and there's at least 10 new leaves, many quite large now (I use root tabs and liquid ferts, pretty crappy light and no co2). My inclination would be to make sure you've got root tabs in there, and then just be patient and let it do its thing. I'm assuming this is a fairly new plant. If not, I really have no idea! Sorry if this isn't helpful, just thought I'd share what I experienced with my sword :)

OP
T

TheMysticWizard

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike1995 said:
Yes you did it right. You wanna trim them as far down as you can to encourage new growth. Leaves that aren't growing, are usually dying. No in between.
Are you using any root tabs or any fertilizers? I've had a lot of success growing swords with root tabs and iron.
For swords, the part right above the roots, leave it above the substrate. Plant it, but leave it a little loose.
Cool. I just figured new leaves will grow and this one isn't healthy anymore.

I am using Nilocg Thrive liquid and Nilocg Thrive Caps. Wondering if I need to add more Iron separately... or anything else for that matter.

I was using Metricide 14 originally as well, but I had stopped thinking it wasn't doing much for me. I then ended up with a lot more algae, so I started it again.

I am running CO2 as well.

OP
T

TheMysticWizard

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
redmare said:
I'm really no expert at all, but I'm growing a flame sword. All the leaves it came with started to hardcore die pretty much right away. From what I'd read, I just left them, and in about 3 months all the originals have melted back and there's at least 10 new leaves, many quite large now (I use root tabs and liquid ferts, pretty crappy light and no co2). My inclination would be to make sure you've got root tabs in there, and then just be patient and let it do its thing. I'm assuming this is a fairly new plant. If not, I really have no idea! Sorry if this isn't helpful, just thought I'd share what I experienced with my sword :)
They've been in the tank for a while now, Bought them in the beginning of February.

I think that may be part of my problem, I need to leave them alone. Impatient and OCD tendencies, make it hard to just wait and observe. LOL

Maybe I'll add some more root tabs, added them when the plants went in and again about a month ago. Nilocg's packaging says they should last 3-4 months. I dunno.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TheMysticWizard said:
Cool. I just figured new leaves will grow and this one isn't healthy anymore.

I am using Nilocg Thrive liquid and Nilocg Thrive Caps. Wondering if I need to add more Iron separately... or anything else for that matter.

I was using Metricide 14 originally as well, but I had stopped thinking it wasn't doing much for me. I then ended up with a lot more algae, so I started it again.

I am running CO2 as well.
TheMysticWizard said:
They've been in the tank for a while now, Bought them in the beginning of February.

I think that may be part of my problem, I need to leave them alone. Impatient and OCD tendencies, make it hard to just wait and observe. LOL

Maybe I'll add some more root tabs, added them when the plants went in and again about a month ago. Nilocg's packaging says they should last 3-4 months. I dunno.
I'd add iron. Along with root tabs, they utilize a lot of iron.
Although they do grow huge, it is a bit slow. I have one in my 20g long and it took two years and now it's a monster of a plant. I actually have to trim it tomorrow. Patience is key.

New Threads