Trimming roots

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

I want to replant my banana lilly but its roots are massive at least 1 foot can i trim them to make it easier to replants

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

I'm pretty sure it's fine to trim roots when replanting, I think it even helps them grow (the leaves I mean). Could you post a pic of the roots? They sound crazy!

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Do you mean the roots, or the nodules? The nodules should never be trimmed, as they're nutrient storage for the plant and they don't come back once they're gone.

You can trim the thin roots that grow off of them, but that would be all I'd do.

4. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Better not to trim roots because it shocks the plant and slows its growth. But you can.

5. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

The roots are very long and white i didnt cut them when i replanted it last time and so there starting to come up through surface i just rolled them into a ball and pressed them into sand but because of how long they are it was difficult i dont like were it is still so planning on moving it again depending on what extra plants i get to add

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice