Trimming Java Fern Rhizome

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm working on getting my java fern into order, as it's scattered (and mostly growing unattached to anything) all over my tank. I've noticed that many of the plants have very long sections of rhizome (at least 4-6 inches) with no leaves left. Can I trim off this old rhizome? I know that I can propagate the plant by cutting the rhizome between leaves so I wouldn't think it would be harmful, but I wanted to double-check. Thank you!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could cut the rhizome if it's healthy. You then could attach the piece and most likely get two plants from it. However, i like to wait until the rhizomes are about 8 inches, so i can get at least two 4 inches. this makes planting easier for you.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
You could cut the rhizome if it's healthy. You then could attach the piece and most likely get two plants from it. However, i like to wait until the rhizomes are about 8 inches, so i can get at least two 4 inches. this makes planting easier for you.
The bare rhizome will grow new leaves if I cut it off? I'm only seeing new leaves appear on the leading edge; the part of the rhizome I'm considering cutting off hasn't had leaves on it in many months. On some of the old plants, the bare rhizome looks horrible; it's brown and beat up. I can get pictures if that would help. Thank you.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RedBettaBoy said:
I can’t belive these rhiozome get to 8 inches. My Petco ferns are officially a resurrection project
I should measure my longest rhizome and see what it's at. It'll report back.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom