Trimming for dummies...

SonsOfGuppies

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,

I have been running a tank full of plants for more than 4 months now, and I just heard about "trimming". I know trimming is to cut plants partially but I don't know the importance and benefit of trimming in a planted tank.

I have plants like: different kinds of stem plants (I don't know their name) and hair grass.

I'm quite surprise that in almost every "planted tank beginners" article i've seen, they never mentioned anything about trimming, but when I go to a separate article about it, they say it is important to regularly trI'm plants

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

When I trI'm my plants (anubia, java fern) I usually only removed dead leaves. Trimming the plants in this fashion helps to promote new plant growth.

Other plants that I've trimmed is Wisteria in order to start new plants.

Ken

AquaticBrandon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Trimming plants help promote new growth as Aquarist mentioned. You will have more plants and the plants will start to look bushier, mostly with stem plants.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had to trI'm my hornworts twice now, they grow crazy like weeds. The tank has only been running for three weeks or so.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Trimming is a bit different with specific plants. You always want to keep dead portions trimmed off. Some stem plants like Ludwigia, Water Sprite, Rotala to name a few, may need to be trimmed occasionally or theyll just grow into a jungle cluster of plant matter. Things like Anubias and Java fern are much much slower as far as growth rate, and may rarely if ever need trimming. Trimming with stem plants will encourage new growth, I know when I trI'm my Ludwigia, 2 new stems will grow from the tip of the one I trimmed. In this sense, you can get single stems to bush out more.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dumb question but I been using regular scissors, is that fish safe?

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as theyre stainless steel they should be fine, just make sure you thoroughly dry them after use. I prefer titanium, walmart had a 2 pack for like $9 with nice rubber grips.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AquaticBrandon said:
I use the scissors that you use to cut hair. Like those barber scissors
I do too, just wanted to make sure they were safe for aquarium use..

DanB80TTS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I trI'm with hair scissors too lol.

Some stems like hornwort grow ridiculously fast and need trimmed, if you let them grow too crazy they can block light to the rest of the plants in the tank and it's just nice to keep it looking good rather than all overgrown.

OP
SonsOfGuppies

SonsOfGuppies

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the imput guys . So trimming encourages growth.

I've also heard that trimming hairgrass encourages runners/ or those new shoots spreading all over the aquarium. Is this true?

Definitely sent from my laptop and not from my phone.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SonsOfGuppies said:
Thanks for the imput guys . So trimming encourages growth.

I've also heard that trimming hairgrass encourages runners/ or those new shoots spreading all over the aquarium. Is this true?

Definitely sent from my laptop and not from my phone.
This is true for any carpeting plant, to encourage carpeting, you'll want to trI'm the tops, or tallest stems depending on the plant, and it will encourage new outward growth instead of upward growth.

New Threads