Trimming Fins.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So this is strictly a worse case scenario deal. I’m trying to track down a vet for Jupiter, he’s got wicked fin rot that has gone septic. I’ve tried M blue and kanaplex and while they are not nearly as red as before, the lead ray on his pectoral fin and dorsal are black.

WORST case scenario, how would I do about trimming his fins back.
@Gypsy13 @scarface

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Trimming his fins back can cause a whole other set of issues: you're opening up that area to further infections and rot. I don't see that as being a better solution.

I'd add in another antibiotic in addition to the kanaplex, like erythromycin. It targets different bacteria than the kanaplex.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TexasDomer said:
Trimming his fins back can cause a whole other set of issues: you're opening up that area to further infections and rot. I don't see that as being a better solution.

I'd add in another antibiotic in addition to the kanaplex, like erythromycin. It targets different bacteria than the kanaplex.
Like i said, this is absolutely worse case scenario. Good news is that I think I may have found a vet. But like Bit said, there are *no* drugs up here. Kanaplex is the strongest I could find.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry, I’m just as ignorant as you are, but I’d imagine you want something that is sharp and sturdy and won’t warp/bend when you cut the fin rays. I guess that’s a no brainer, though.

Edit: I see you started trimming. I gues the rays grow back?

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
Sorry, I’m just as ignorant as you are, but I’d imagine you want something that is sharp and sturdy and won’t warp/bend when you cut the fin rays. I guess that’s a no brainer, though.

Edit: I see you started trimming. I gues the rays grow back?
I’d hope so. no, did some research, but the biggest thing (and the reason I did it) was becuase it was coming off. The ray had snapped clean in half so it wouldent have healed properly.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, you’re right. It probably wouldn’t have healed properly. I had my two goldfish shipped, but one was pretty ragged with a broken off dorsal fin (the firt ray) that only stayed on because of the fin membrane. It was hanging there pretty funny for a while. It eventually healed but bent like so:
FC25724E-9C07-4B7E-BD0D-7A6268F2FCB4.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom